HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Fixing the ears on a deer mount? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/284325-fixing-ears-deer-mount.html)

Ohiobuck25 01-26-2009 07:10 PM

Fixing the ears on a deer mount?

How difficult is it for a taxidermist to fix the ears on a deer mount? I shot a nice 8 point a couple years back with some nice height to him, but he was only 14" wide. I asked for the ears to lay back to make his lack of a spread not seem so bad. 12 months later I go to pick him up and...........wouldn't you know it they're in the full alert position! I should have spoke up at the time, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. To this day it bothers me. How much am I looking at ($$$) to have this fixed?

M.Magis 01-27-2009 03:10 AM

RE: Fixing the ears on a deer mount?

They can be fixed by a competent taxidermist, IF the hide was well tanned and not dry preserved. They would look fine if they weren't shaped like sausages and placed too low.Done properly, forward ears would look better on that pose than relaxed, but that's mostly my opinion.

TimberlandTaxidermy 01-27-2009 09:24 PM

I disagree that "any competent taxidermist" can fix your ears. I don't mean to sound rude, and I'm certainly not trying to disrespect another taxidermist, but since you asked...

...your deer mount has way more problems than just a different ear position than you requested. If you asked for back, you should have gotten back, but the reason those look so terrible forward is because they are not anatomically correct. Those ears are sticking way too far out from the head. There is no way the ear canal could attach to the skull on that deer, so it looks like it has wings for ears. Not to mention, the ear shape itself is wrong, and elongated. From the picture, it appears that the antler set is tipped forward. The eyes look strange, and the finish work on the eyes and nose look poor in the pic, and I imagine they look worse in person. If it were brought into my shop I would say fixing it is not an option, and a re-mount with a new cape by a "competent" taxidermist is in order. Expect to pay between 450 - 650 for a quality shoulder mount.

M.Magis 01-28-2009 03:54 AM

I'll agree that fixing them wouldn't be something I would consider either, but it may be possible. But again, rotation isn't the problem.

Ohiobuck25 01-28-2009 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: TimberlandTaxidermy

I disagree that "any competent taxidermist" can fix your ears. I don't mean to sound rude, and I'm certainly not trying to disrespect another taxidermist, but since you asked...

...your deer mount has way more problems than just a different ear position than you requested. If you asked for back, you should have gotten back, but the reason those look so terrible forward is because they are not anatomically correct. Those ears are sticking way too far out from the head. There is no way the ear canal could attach to the skull on that deer, so it looks like it has wings for ears. Not to mention, the ear shape itself is wrong, and elongated. From the picture, it appears that the antler set is tipped forward. The eyes look strange, and the finish work on the eyes and nose look poor in the pic, and I imagine they look worse in person. If it were brought into my shop I would say fixing it is not an option, and a re-mount with a new cape by a "competent" taxidermist is in order. Expect to pay between 450 - 650 for a quality shoulder mount.
ThankyouT.T. for your honesty! That is good information to know!!!

IAhuntr 01-28-2009 03:31 PM

I agree with both guys above. Having the deer remounted by a competent taxiwould result in a good looking mount regardless of forward or back ear positioning. The rack being tipped too far forward along with the too-low placement of the too-long earbutts and mis-shapened ears is what looks out of place.

Johnm62 09-06-2019 02:21 PM

Ears

1 Attachment(s)
We call him Fluffy because he looks so sweat! I need his ears moved or I’m just cutting the rack off. I told him that I wanted this buck to look mean. This is what I got

excalibur43 10-11-2019 11:18 AM

I agree with T.T. This needs a re-mount.
I'm not trying be be rude either, but, if you want a good mount, don't be afraid to pay for a good mount.