Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Not happy with my mount >

Not happy with my mount

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Not happy with my mount

Old 01-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Not happy with my mount

Chances are you are stuck. If you failed to say anything the day you picked it up and paid for it I think there is little you can do about it now. I have 25+ deer mounted and if there is anything I don't like about a mount I point it out right then and now. Even after going thru 7 or so Taxidermist and using the same one now for 17 years I look it over 100% before I pay for it. I would never take anything home I wasn't happy with or thought didn't look right. If you see a problem and point it out and then it isn't fixed you might have some recourse.

Goatslayer........
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Typical Buck

its to late now,the time complain is before you pay the taxidermist. my guy gets 395.00 for a shoulder mount deer with half up front .the other half paid when its done. when i go to pick up a mount i check it out real good before the final payment. call him ,point out what you think is wrong and see what he does.

cheap mounts are usually just that,cheap mounts. i have a friend that killed a 9pt 2 years ago. i told to take it to my taxidermist,at the time was charging 325.00. he said he was taking to a guy that would do it for 250.00 and he did. he waited 15months and got a mount that if i didn't know better i'd guess it was 20yrs old. it was the worst job i've ever seen. the taxidermist should paid him for his trouble it was so bad. atleast this past yr the guy that mounted it got put out of business by the game wardens for selling illegal mounts.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, you guys have some cheap taxidermists. The taxis in my area are getting well into the $500s and up and over $600 for some of them.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I am a part time taxidermist and I would need to see several pics to be 100% sure of what I am about to say. It looks like the nostriles are to big, ear butts are to small atthe bottom and the inside ofears are to white. The eye looks a little uneven or out of round at the bottom but sometimes you do that pose on purpose if its a flehmen or a snort\weez pose. Honestly though I have seen farworse for 350.00 He can fix the nose color and darken the ears but other than thatremounting with another cape it all you can do.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Fork Horn

You can post close-ups if you wish, but they aren't needed to see that the mount looks terrible. However, you onlypaid 350.00 for it so you kinda got what you paid for. Yes, the ears look terrible, as well as the eyes, nose, etc. I would also bet there are things wrong with the mount that can't be seen, at least not yet.It is possible that some of the things that are wrong with it could be repaired, but I'm convinced the taxidermist that mounted it is NOT capable of making those repairs. Even if some of the things were fixed, it would still be low quality. If it were me I would bite the bullet and have it remounted with a different cape. It's an expensive lesson, but I'll bet next time you do way more research when choosing a shop. Good luck.

P.S. I get 475.00, and feel like I'm on the low end of the price spectrum of quality shops. Several shops I know of charge 500-600 for standard shoulder mounts.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

Man, you guys have some cheap taxidermists. The taxis in my area are getting well into the $500s and up and over $600 for some of them.
Exactly. I paid $550 for the last one I had done back in I want to say late 80's, early 90's. The guy had all kinds of ribbons though. He went thru a divoice and his wife torched his shop. He has since rebuilt but I don't need any more monts unless it's a 180 or so
Old 02-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Fork Horn

Reference photos of live deer will show you that deer do have pink nostrils when they are alive. Maybe not 100% of them, but a lot of them.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: EnglishHope

Reference photos of live deer will show you that deer do have pink nostrils when they are alive. Maybe not 100% of them, but a lot of them.
You are right English, deer do have a fleshy pink color inside their nose. Some may not know this, because after death blood no longer flows and the skin will look almost white. The reason USA noticed something wrong w/ the nostrils wasn't the color as much as it was the shape and size. That part is so far off that the pink in the nose sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Spike

Id demand my money back for that type of p*ss poor work. Like you said deer do not have pink nostrels and those nostrels are definitely pink.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:08 PM

I definitely think you are correct in being unhappy with your mount. Hope it can be fixed to your liking.

Quick Reply: Not happy with my mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.