Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Some of my work

Old 11-30-2008, 10:12 PM

Default Some of my work

Hows it look

Old 11-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Some of my work

You need to go look at some reference photos of live deer. I guess not too bad, if you are a beginner, but just from what I can seeyou need to study more on: Eye shape, ear butt shape, ear alignment, andhair patterns. Also have some pulling away under the antler burrs.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:53 AM

Excalibur the deer on the left has been entered in three shows and ive walked away with two 1st place and a 3rd place. There wasnt any hair pulling away from the antler burs and ear alignment are diffrent every deer you look at eye shape I think along with my many costermers love it and hair pattern what????? sorry im not argueing with your opinion i would just like you to explain better on what your seeing and i understand its a picture.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm mainly looking at the deer on the right, because that's the one I can see the best. The hair is pulled away from under the deers leftantler burr, eyes are mis-shaped ( on both deer), ears are wrinkled, hair pattern on ears and armpits are mis -aligned, ears are set too far down on neck and ear butts are wrong.Deer on leftappears to have the brisket hair mis-aligned also, but I can't really tell.You asked, I just told you the truth.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personaly think they look great! If I ever try and mount my own deer, I would only hope that it would look that good!!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: excalibur43

I'm mainly looking at the deer on the right, because that's the one I can see the best. The hair is pulled away from under the deers leftantler burr, eyes are mis-shaped ( on both deer), ears are wrinkled, hair pattern on ears and armpits are mis -aligned, ears are set too far down on neck and ear butts are wrong.Deer on leftappears to have the brisket hair mis-aligned also, but I can't really tell.You asked, I just told you the truth.
I would have to agree with excalibur43 on this. The eye shape on both deer appear wrong. The deer on the left definitely looks better than the one on the right, however with these distant photos it is hard to do a critique.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would have to agree with excalibur43 on this.
X2

I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm a master taxidermist, but both mounts could use some improvements in my opinion. The two biggest things I see......Deer of left, his eye shape looks off, look a bit chinese. Deer on the right, ear butts are too far down his neck....common beginer mistake, slide those things up closer to the anters. You are the one who posted pictures open for critiques...sorry.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I think they look good. The only thing I see wrong is the deer on the left, (the one on the right looking at them) is the skin on the ear looks folded. I agree with cakreiner, it's hard to do a critique with the pictures that far.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

grays - please take it for what it is, every point is spot on. Ears are off, eye shape wrong, hair pattern off. You asked "Hows it look", and they answered you. Now I am sure that one of these guys would post a pic and show you the difference. Please take their advise and check reference. There is no way that I can come across as anything other than a butt, but I am giving my opinion.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: graysonelement

Excalibur the deer on the left has been entered in three shows and ive walked away with two 1st place and a 3rd place. There wasnt any hair pulling away from the antler burs and ear alignment are diffrent every deer you look at eye shape I think along with my many costermers love it and hair pattern what????? sorry im not argueing with your opinion i would just like you to explain better on what your seeing and i understand its a picture.
graysonelement,

You asked for opinions on the two deer in the pic, both of which you mounted. excalibur43gave you what he felt was an honest critique, and I tend to agree with most of what he said. After the opinions weren't as glowing as you had hoped, you fire back with the above response??? If you have entered the deer in 3 shows and received critiques from a qualified judge, why would you search for one on a hunting website? Personally, I'd like to see the scoresheets that awarded that deer a 1st! (unless you entered it in the amature division) The one on the left is difficult to see, but has some obvious flaws, and the one on the right has MAJOR issues. I can go in to detail if you like, but judging from your response to excalibur43I don't think you're looking for an honest critique. If your "costermers" love it then it sounds like you are in good shape. Personally I like taking advice from other names in the industry, not family, friends, and customers who always think everything looks great.

Quick Reply: Some of my work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.