Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

euro mount

Old 11-13-2008, 08:12 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Default euro mount

I would like to do my own euro mount. Can someone tell hoe to do it. How long do I boil it do you put something in the water etc.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: euro mount

Go to www.taxidermy.net and put euro mount into the search slot, should give you plenty of info.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

also www.taxidermytube.com has alot of good stuff on it, but most of it can be found on youtube as well
Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Step 1: Skin the skull
Step 2: Boil the head for 20 to 30 min and take it out and take off as much meat and junk out of the brain and nasal cavity.
Step 3: Boil again for another 20-30 min and I use a coat hanger and put it through the brain and through the nose and just get as much junk out as possible.
Step 4: after everythin is as close to done you need to go to a beauty store like Sally Beauty or something simmilar. Buy 40% hydrogen peroxide they use it for bleeching hair. Put the skull in the peroxide but put some painters tape on the antlers so they dont get white. Be careful not to touch your skin. The first time I did it I touched my face and got a really bad skin allergy it sucked it was like poison ivy.
Step 5: Hang it and enjoy.

here is one picture i have after boiling the first time. I need to get some more pictures later.

ps. The peroxide works really well and makes the skull super white its cool.

http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg384/scaled.php?server=384&filename=p1020996zi9.jpg &xsize=578&ysize=480
Old 12-13-2008, 12:49 AM

the way i do it is a little faster and simple
step 1 cut all of the hair, skin, meat off of the skull then cut the bottom jaw off with a saw, and be sure to cut out the eye balls
step 2 start to boil your water in a pot deep enough to submerge your skull but not the antlers, then dump 3-4 cups of borax in the boiling water, you can find borax at walmart in the laundry detergent isle.
step 3 place skull in water and boil for 15 to 25 min
step 4 while the skull is still steaming if u have a power washer spray off all of the meat with that or what i have to do is go to the car wash and use theirs. after this is done let it dry and u will have a bleach white skull to hang on your wall. i will try to post some pics 4 u.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:51 AM

Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 AM

Old 12-13-2008, 01:05 AM

Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Typical Buck

I did two euros this year. First time ever. They turned out very nice. I boiled/borax for 45 minutes took out and cleaned as much off as I could. Return to water for another 25-30 min. Repeated this step another time.

The part I found the hardest was getting all the meat,vessel,and that hard fatty deposit stuff off the back side of skull plate. I would just scrape and pick the best I could. Took sometime but was pretty clean when done.

Let dry over night and a little help from hair dryer. Masked off the teeth and antlers and spray painted it with a flat white primer.

my camera is down, but will try to get pics sometime
Old 12-15-2008, 04:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

skin the head...cut out the tounge, neck and anything you can...dont be picky but get major stuff...

boil in water for ~8 hrs...add water as needed...can drain and add fresh water if you want

pull out, get everything off...at that point, it falls right off...use facet or hose to get nasal cavity and brain cavity clean...

let dry....peroxide and let dry....comes out nice and white....pretty much effortless, but has to boil a long time....everything rinses right off with a hose though...no nasty stuff to stink up the house for years to come...

use peroxide, not bleach...bleach will continue to eat the bone and sooner or later(much later) it will fall apart...

Quick Reply: euro mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.