Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 First buck, cape questions? >

First buck, cape questions?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

First buck, cape questions?

Old 10-08-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Default First buck, cape questions?

K, a question for everyone. I posted a few days back about how to clean the skull cap for my first bow kill so I could display it nicely. I boiled it and then soaked it in some bleach water for half an hour after that and its resting proudly on the top of our entertainment center in the living room. And it really looks good there and I like it. My wife even does too. Matches the rustic theme of our cabin.

But since this is my first bow kill, I'm thinking maybe I get it mounted? I know I'd need a new cape, but I'd probably have needed one anyway. It was a neck shot (not where I'd intended to hit) and there was a lot of bood and 2 large holes in the neck areas. I'm torn. Not that it matters, but how many guys come to taxidermists to get their first buck mounted if he's not that big. Take a look and let me know your thoughts please. Any suggestions welcome.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First buck, cape questions?

Not a big deal. Just about every taxidermist has people bring them 'the first deer'. Put it this way....I mounted one smaller than that last year...yep, someone's first deer. If you would be proud....then do it up.

Oh...and as far as the cape, a replacement cape isn't a big deer. We can usually match a cape size off the size of the antlers.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Zubba. And if I still lived in East Dubuque, I'd have to bring the business your way.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

As taxidermists, we do "1st's" every year for clients. I think a small deer mount looks really neat, and would encourage you to do it. I had my first bowkill mounted 15 yrs. ago and it is still my favorite mount. Memories are great, but it's nice to see it up there too.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Fork Horn

Here is one I mounted for someone last season.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:47 AM
Fork Horn

Any mount that is done whether bigor small, will look great 0n the wall if it is done right. I personally have quite a few small ones mounted but for me it is all about how it looks on the wall and to give the customer some different ideas.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Zubba. And if I still lived in East Dubuque, I'd have to bring the business your way.
East Dubuque, ah? I live in Dubuque....a whopping 2 minutes away...lol....just over the bridge. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

zubba i live about 15 mins away from dubuque in platteville. wheres your shop at??
Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Weird. I lived in East Dubuque through high school and went to Wahlert High School in Dubuque. Used to go to see the Bears in Platteville too quite a bit and remember Ditka and McMahon the year they won the superbowl. Got all their autographs beforehand, etc. I still get back some but no family there anymore so its just for a weekend trip and the likes. Dubuque has really changed in the past decade, that's for sure.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

zubba i live about 15 mins away from dubuque in platteville. wheres your shop at??
Hey wis_rifle_hunter, I'm real familiar with Platteville....I originally from Potosi...lol. I since have moved to Dubuque. Below is my shop info....

Quick Reply: First buck, cape questions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.