Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Care for a trophy.....hours from home >

Care for a trophy.....hours from home

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Care for a trophy.....hours from home

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Care for a trophy.....hours from home

So you've got one down....and you're 3 hours from having him caped out......meat in the cooler.....and on your way home.

3 hours go by....and you're now ready to attempt to care for your cape/head and get it home to your freezer.

What do you do to preserve it?

Understand it would take one BIG (OK...everything's relative...and I do hunt NC) cooler to cover the whole thing.

Just asking......."just in case"

Thanks, guys!
Old 09-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Care for a trophy.....hours from home

technically you should take your taxidermist with you...... but if you want come on over and I'll show you how to completely cape and salt one. Most taxis will probably show you. One method is that one, another would be to talk to your taxi about what he prefers. I can and will order a bottle of "snake medicine" that can be applied with a spray bottle. I take one with me when I hunt. Another method, since you have access to ice is to cool the face and hide. Keep the ice in bags but lay them on the face and under it also the ears, etc. Another method is drive really fast to the taxidermist
Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

Add to NC, Id make sure to have the cell no of my taxi to let him know i was on my way directly to him. That way you dont show up and he's not at home/work/shop and wont be returning for some time. If you call him and let him know your coming, hopefully he'll wait or tell you hes leaving and youcan find someone else.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depending how long it will be before the cape is off the carcass and in the cooler, I think the best bet would be to listen to NC. Learn how to cape the deer and salt it. The salt will draw moisture out and help set the hair to prevent slipping. Okie also had good advice to make sure you can get it too the taxi as soon as possible. The sooner the cape is in the taxi's hand, the better off both you AND the taxi will be.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

nc...

I'm hunting Bertie Co. opening day. PM me your number. I'm not suggesting I'm gonna kill one....but if I did....I'd like to know I could get him to you ASAP. Just trying to be prepared for the "best".

Old 09-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

The info on how to prepare a bear is on my web page. Here is a link to the info you were asking about. Good luck.

http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com/Black-Bear-and-other-lifesize-skinning.pdf