HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Whitening skull? Mounting skull? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/254567-whitening-skull-mounting-skull.html)

MECHDOC 07-26-2008 01:31 PM

Whitening skull? Mounting skull?

Im in the process of making a Texas mount and had a few questions for you guys.

1)Do you wash offskull after cleaning with 40% peroxide or do you just let it evaporate?

2)What type of clear coat do you use on skull when it is finished?

3)How do you mount skull to mounting board(when skull is pretty weak but real heavy)?

Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks.

HunterOpel 07-27-2008 06:08 AM

RE: Whitening skull? Mounting skull?

I mix a pate with peroxide gel volume 40 and a powdered whitener, I let it sit a couple of days and wash it off real good, I dont clear coat mine, just leave it white..
If you do clear coat it make sure it womt yellow it..
I fill the brain cavity with bondo, gives me more to attach to board with..
Good Luck..

rgswildlife 07-30-2008 07:17 AM

European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long.

Rich

bloodcrick 08-02-2008 10:26 AM

This is exactly the way i do it to. The modge podge is great. It goes on like elmers glue but dries clear.

ORIGINAL: rgswildlife

European skull mounts

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long.

Rich

bowanna03 08-06-2008 01:43 PM

after getting all done cleaning it shoot up with some kilz spray paint or white flat spray paint and sand it and clear it. it will come really white cheap and quick

rgswildlife 08-06-2008 03:24 PM

nice work could you help me out with some instructions on how to build the wooden bases i would like to build my own
But I charge $210 for my job on a deer skull,and I get it. I think my way comes out better and the customer is always happy.

rgswildlife 08-06-2008 03:32 PM

Here is another.