Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Turkey Mounting

Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Turkey Mounting

Just spread the fan out and staple the way you want and salt after cleaning as much meat off.Then you can make or purchase your back board and I spread body putty around the base of fan and let dry then fit to go into gap of fan board.Check out vandykes for some easy to use kits.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM

Got a link for body putty? This seems the way to go for me.

ORIGINAL: habitat

Just spread the fan out and staple the way you want and salt after cleaning as much meat off.Then you can make or purchase your back board and I spread body putty around the base of fan and let dry then fit to go into gap of fan board.Check out vandykes for some easy to use kits.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

There isa fine line between getting it all and screwing it up, and without trying to sound like a smart alec, that's what professionals get paid for. I will try and explain it the best I can... The skin of a turkey is pretty thin, maybe 5 kleenex's worth. Underneath the skin is fat and under that is meat. You must get all the yellow fat out or you are asking for trouble. Kinda like Russian Roulet, you might pull the trigger a few times or maybe once, but eventually you will fire. Dermestid beetles are nothing to joke about, they can and will ruin every mount they come into contact with. I have seen mounts with the hair literally falling out. Clean all the fat out, then go to the store and get Borax, detergent isle, and powder the flesh areas with it. If you don't get all the fat out, you are giving the beetles something to eat. I have seen them start out with a bird nest in an attic and before the owner knew it, he had lost thousand of dollars worth of quality taxidermy. I know that I sound like Chicken Little but I have seen the damage.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM

I'm not chewing anybody out but MAN! a $550.00 to $700.00 bird is not high! Before I got into taxidermy I thought they were like god too and could fix anything and it would come back beautiful. But guess what we are not. I have at least 20 guys call a day and want to know prices and 50% of them say thats too high. Well I got news for ya, its not. We as taxidermists would like to take every hunter that says that come in and sit down beside us and watch from start to finish, the work that goes into a turkey.On average it will take 15 hours start to finish on 1 turkey. They have as much fat on them as a canada goose and you have to wash them numerous times then all the little stuff. If you want a quality mount that will last and not crumble away in 5 years. You will have to spend $400.00 to $700.00 depending on the quality of work.