Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Turkey Mounting

Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM

Default RE: Turkey Mounting

I charge $480.00
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

nice mount stuffer.
I just dropped of my bird from earlier this week to my local guy. $550 for a full strut.
Your price looks better!

Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 PM

I was hoping to get my Spring Gobb stuffed this year but like you the cost seemed high. I did some research on other options and came across Van Dyke's Taxidermy

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/product/01005402/

They have a nice do it yourself Walnut Creek Oak Turkey Wing and Tail Kit..

Old 05-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Or you could save even more money and do a turkey carpet! Total cost less than $10 for materials.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

One word of caution.... if you do not know how to properly clean a skin and preserve it, you can actually cause more grief than you could ever imagine. Without proper cleaning and preserving, you are leaving yourself open to dermestid beetle damage, which can infect everymount in your home. There is also the chance of grease "bleeding", a common occurance in older mounts. I have actually seen grease dripping from improperly prepaired mounts. Just an FYI to CYA.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

One word of caution.... if you do not know how to properly clean a skin and preserve it, you can actually cause more grief than you could ever imagine. Without proper cleaning and preserving, you are leaving yourself open to dermestid beetle damage, which can infect everymount in your home. There is also the chance of grease "bleeding", a common occurance in older mounts. I have actually seen grease dripping from improperly prepaired mounts. Just an FYI to CYA.
Yeah, like nctaxi said, it is very important to get all meat and fat of the skin and washed/degreased before preserving. It is avery messy job, but probably the most important!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM

Can you elaborate on proper cleaning? I washed off my fan, beard, spurs and wings. I then poured morton salt/ borax on the meaty ends. Is there more to it then that for a basic set up? Sorry if I highjacked your post just want to make sure all ends are coverd for basic set up.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:12 PM

strutnbuckyou must of posted while I was typing...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: blackjeep04

Can you elaborate on proper cleaning? I washed off my fan, beard, spurs and wings. I then poured morton salt/ borax on the meaty ends. Is there more to it then that for a basic set up? Sorry if I highjacked your post just want to make sure all ends are coverd for basic set up.
Yes, there is more to it than putting some salt on the meat. A properly prepared tail will have ABSOLUTELY no meat or fat on it anywhere. It is fleshed clean of meat and fat, then washed in a de-greasing detergent.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM

Well I went back to cut more away from the fan. I cut most of the red till yellow was present. I assumr that;s the fat? It seemed that if I cut that away the feathers would fall out of the skin. Is there a vidoe out there that shows the process on this. This is my first skin on a turkey and it's full of meat and fat till all the feathers fall out and I'm screwed or anybody else for that matter..

Quick Reply: Turkey Mounting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.