Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Bleaching & Adding Missing Broken Antler >

Bleaching & Adding Missing Broken Antler

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Bleaching & Adding Missing Broken Antler

Old 11-28-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Bleaching & Adding Missing Broken Antler

I was lucky enough this past Monday to take a really nice 7-point in Pennsylvania. He would have been an 8-point however, he must have broken off theone G3tineduring a fight. The G3 tine was busted off at the main beam, and was wondering how difficult it is to add a tine so he would be an 8-point? I know Van Dyke's sells a kit to add a tine but imagine it takes some practice. Can anyone give me a ball of how much it would cost to have this G3 tine replaced by a taxidermist? Is this something that an average person can do? I thought about practicing on a set of smaller antlers.

Additionally, I am doing a european mount andhave clean theskull free of any flesh. Rather than to soak it in peroxide, I would like to apply it with a brush. How do you create a paste consistency for the peroxide? CanI use peroxideand mix it withflour in order to achieve a paste?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Lumenoker
Pennsylvania
Old 12-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bleaching & Adding Missing Broken Antler

To replace a point is not difficult. Just takes a little patients, and right materials. I keep spare antlers around for this purpose. If you can matchup a similar point your on your way. I drill a small hole about 1" deep into the broken point, and a 1" hole into the new point. Use a piece of wire same diameter as your drill bit. Mix up a 2 part epoxy, place it in the holes, on the wire ends, and each base of the points. Put it together, and adjust how you like it, then tape to hold. Let it set a day, then use more epoxy to fill in any gaps if needed. You'll then need a antler stain to use on the epoxy marks, and point if needed. Warning a little bit of antler stain goes a long ways.
Far as the peroxide just soak it, and watch. Take alot longer to get same effects by trying to brush it on.