Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Fleshing and Frustrated Kinda? >

Fleshing and Frustrated Kinda?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Fleshing and Frustrated Kinda?

Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Fleshing and Frustrated Kinda?

Tonight I skinned out the head and felt pretty good about that. No holes on the eyes or tear ducts and the lips went pretty good to. Was tired since I came off of nights today but decided to dive right in on the fleshing. I have the Sallie beginners video and on there it looks pretty straight forward. I started at the lips and so far just on one lip I have three holes! I know you may be laughing right now as you read this, but this is my first cape ever. I went out to the local hobby store and bought a small wood carvers knife. Has a one inch blade in it but not flexible and it seems sharp. But when using it I feel like I am pushing way to hard to get the meat off and then when I feel like I am doing good, but pushing hard a hole pops up! Could I need a sharper blade and not have to push into the hide so much? Any advise on this and a direction I should take would be great. Again, I am a total novice at this but wanting to learn for a extra way to extend my hunt into the winter. Thanks guys, Jason.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Fleshing and Frustrated Kinda?

I use a scalpel for turning lips, eyes and nostrils. I also use a skiving knife for finish fleshing around these areas. I use a draw knife for knocking the big chunks of meat and fat off of the main part of the hide.You can buyall of theseat any taxidermy supplier.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:17 AM

put your fingers on the other side of the lips, when you are close to going through you will feel it. also us a scapal loe excaliber said. and take your time, i see all the time where someone says " i can flesh a deer in 20 min." well i can to , then it takes me 30min of sewing to fix holes!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your pushing on the knife to get it cut, forcing it. Its dull. Your knife should be razor sharp. So sharp you could shave with it. I run a blade along the back of my hand to see if I can shave the hairs off. The sharper your blade the easier it is to flesh. Struggling with a dull knife will cause holes. I use a very sharp small bladed knife to turn lips, hardly any pressure is needed to remove the flesh. You should actually have to be real gentle with a good knife.