HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Bald Eagles (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/211795-bald-eagles.html)

sandilands 10-13-2007 11:20 AM

Bald Eagles

I love'em...... but I came acroos a juvenile bald eagle that was dead. Here in MB I am allowed to possess this bird and I would like to have it mounted. The crows were already on it when I got there and had gone from the back to the inerds. So I would have to mount it wings open landing on a branch or something. Anyone have any pics of bald eagle mounts and what would be a fair price to have it done. I have the price from some local taxidermists but they seem REALLY HIGH. thanx in advance

nctaxi 10-14-2007 07:28 PM

RE: Bald Eagles

sandi - what makes you think that your local taxidermists are too high? First, no U.S. taxi will touch it without proper paper work and they are very hard to come by. Second, there aren't a whole lot of taxi's that have experience with eagles and therefore you might get what you pay for. Third, if you find some one who has mounted one, and it actually looks good, they are charging based on experience. Fourth, if the crows were already into it "from the back", chances are it stinks and will be really hard to make it look like something. Fifth, if as stated above the crows were already in it, chances are it will probably slip, or the feathers will fall out. Do yourself a favor and pay what your local professional charges, these birds deserve to be mounted with dignity and not by some cheap hack.

sandilands 10-14-2007 10:31 PM

Thanx for the reply nctaxi. I want it done proper but right now $500 to start sounds a little steep for my pocket book. I'm sure gonna try though, its a once in a lifetime opportunity.(I think) It didn't stink at all and the meat that was exposed looked fresh. Its just such a nice lookin bird and something that not everyone would have a chance at. I have to drop the carcuss off at the DNR so that can have a look. Confirm it wasn't shot by me or anybody else and then the permit is given. When I spoke to the 2 local taxi shops they had prices pretty quick and pics on their web sites. I asked the likelyhood of obtaining said permit and there response was it is very common and less common that they wouldn't give the permit.
In other words my documents are in order

nctaxi 10-15-2007 04:25 AM

Well, I have seen some horrid looking attempts at birds, please make sure that you get what you pay for. I wish that I could do one, they are fascinating birds and unbelievably large. But here I can't even have a migratory bird feather or even it's abandoned nest. Best of luck to you.

sandilands 10-15-2007 09:27 AM

When I started hunting the land I do now I never used to see Bald Eagles. Now I see 2 or 3 each and every day if not more. THe most I have seen in one location is 8...... all sitting on a dead poplar tree in a clearcut. The most I have seen in day 20+. I've tried to get close for the sake of snapping a few pics with my digital camera but they're eye's are unbelievable. All the photo's I have are from 100yds+ and they turn out gritty when I zoom in. I have 10x optical zoom and 4x digi zoom.
What a beautiful and majestic bird!