Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 something eating my mounts?? >

something eating my mounts??

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

something eating my mounts??

Old 09-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default something eating my mounts??

I have a bug of some kind eating my mounts, it seams to be eating the dead skin and now the hair is pulling off the racks and fethers pulling off my turkey mounts, my friend thinks they are a grub like worm doing this. They leave a shell and what looks like sawdust behind.

What do you think this is and how do I get rid of these.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:11 AM

Default RE: something eating my mounts??

You have dermestid beetles. Very common, not unusual. Do a Google search (keywords: dermestid taxidermy) and you'll find all the info you need from simple DIY remedies to full service businesses.

I cured a duck mount by placing it in the freezer for a few days. Did this twice and has been beetle free for over a year. Not a viable solution though for large or many mounts.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you whiskeysnoot, great input, I think you are right on the money, I have these bugs in my shed where I have a few mounts, euro, but my buddy at work is the one with the problem, he has them in his basement with all his mounts.... mine will be ok, it will freeze soon and kill them, his wont......

Thanks again

Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

They probably weren't fleshed good enough to begin with. They wouldn't be there if there were nothing to eat!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Typical Buck

Dermestids can and will eat any type of protien, including tanned skin and hair. There's no sure way to tell why they're there, and I wouldn't count on freezing to get rid of them. If you do a search on dermestids you should find some ways to help combat them, but short of hiring a professional, nothing is permanent.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM

What you may really want to do is have a professional come and clean and debug your house. Miller Trophy Room Preservation and Restoration is a great company and I have refered many of our clients to them.Their contact info is as follows 704-436-2001 or www.millertrophyroom.comThey travel all over the U.S. and they will put you on one of their routes. They are very reasonable regarding their prices. Check them out before trying any of the home remedies. Good luck
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a Dermestid be attracted to or even want to eat a thoroughly tanned hide that has been glued to a form! I'm not saying that they wouldn't, but in all of my years of taxidermy, I have never had or seen this happen. I did have someone bring me a Boar once ( already mounted ) for repair. There were holes in the cape everywhere. When I removed the cape, it was Dermestids feeding on fat that had not been properly removed. Meat or fat left on the hide will not tan properly! Only a very thoroughly fleshed hide can accept tan properly.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:04 PM

The most common place I have seen them and Carpet beetles in around the pedical bases of the antler. Especially in the skull cap wasn't boiled to remove all of the meat and membrane on the skull. Youare right about Dermestids not eating a tanned hide. Moths and Carpet beetles are pretty damn tough on hair if they get going on a tasty mount!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree!!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry, but dermestids most certainly can and will eat a tanned hide. Something else may initially attract them, but that won't stop them from eating them.

Quick Reply: something eating my mounts??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.