Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Taxidermy help

Old 09-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Taxidermy help

I know the face and really the eyes are the soul of a mount but my question is how do you keep the eyes looking so soft and life like. It seemed like when i did my first mount (no experience), the eyes seemed to pull awayand look rather dry and lose form. How do i keep the skin from pulling away (the mouth and eyes)

Any techniques, pictures or ideas please let me know!!
Thanks
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 PM

Default RE: Taxidermy questions

Tex, theres so many answers to tell you. Like, thinness of the skin, cleaning at the very lid, type of clay used, some shrink, some dont, how huge you might have filled the earbutts, how high you might have set the antlers, they both use up skin and pull. The type of fit, the type of glue. Thin hair in hot weather dries too fast, etc. Sorry, but thats just the tip of the iceburg!
Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 PM

Would posting a few pictures help to figure out what i could do to fix it for next time?
Thanks for the response!

Old 09-25-2007, 09:35 PM

Here are some pictures! Please feel free togive opinions or HELPFUL coments, do keep in mind that this is my first mount but would like to do better on the next so feel free to give tips!
Note: I haven't airbrushed yet so the nose and eyes are not completly done but still wanted advice
Thanks guys!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Order some good reference and study it. The eye shape is wrong and with all the apoxy I can't see what may be the problem. Try thinning the eyes down more and slow the drying time down with a bag over the head.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Looks like you need to step up your eye size to 29mm to 30mm. and set the back of the eye a little farther out. the pupils should be set at 45 deg like nc said get some good fillerand air brush the white spot and it will make a big difference. keep up the work it will take a few years and you willbe doing it like you want.need to lean the horn a little farther back to straight up
Old 09-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Spike

Texas, I also agree with uping the eye size like someone else replyed. Another hint for you would be very simple during the drying process. I like to cover my mounts with a large garbage bag for 1/2 the day (like at bedtime cover them, and in the morning uncover them) which slows the drying considerably. During this time, every day I gently push the bottom eye skin up to the eye again because I do notice some pulling away. It takes a while for mounts to dry and you wouldnt believe how long it can take the clay to dry underneath. simple tip, I hope it helps, and just stick with it. I forgot to mention I usually do the bag thing for over a month every day. I will post pictures soon.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:07 PM

Not a bad first effort. Use the inner eyelid skin to tuck the lids, then all the clay is inside like it should be. Bottom line, live deer dont "show clay" so you know yours shouldnt either, lol. Lips and nose pad appear rough, which suggests the skin wasnt split and shaved thin and even enough. Again, not a bad first effort.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:53 AM

Default RE: Taxidermy help

Thanks for all your help guys! It was my first one and I pretty much had no idea what i was doing so i was ok the way it turned out but i know i am capable of better!I did fill in a lot ofapoxy in theeyes but ionly did that because the skin pulled so far away (Honestly I didn't really watch it that well during the drying process! Inexperience i guess)Since i am a begginner do you think i should send my next cape off to be thinned (because i dont think i am capable just yet of getting them as thin as i need) or should i try to do it my self? If i should send it off where and how much should it cost? Once again thanks for all the tips.

What are some of the things you should look for when drying and what tips do you guys use in doing them? (I like the bag idea thats deffinately going to help)

Thanks again,
TEX
Old 09-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taxidermy help

IMPO you should learn how to do it yourself first then if you decide send them off. Buy some videos. Pinning helped me when I was learning. Another option is to send your cape out to have the works done to it, turning, thinning, etc. Then when you get it back you will be able to see how it should look. Hope it helps

Quick Reply: Taxidermy help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.