Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Dosent look right???? >

Dosent look right????

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Dosent look right????

Old 08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dosent look right????

$650 for a MOUNT?!? WOW! My taxi is a proffesional and he does it for only $250.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then he is doing himself an extreme diservice and should take some business classes. I won't put a scalpel on one for that price. I'm at $395 and am going up.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:10 AM

My Taxi does it for $200.00...with brass plaque at bottom..I dont think they are in need of business classes..I think hunters are in need of Taxi's that dont rip you off..IMO
Old 09-02-2007, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Freezersfull,
I hope you get a great mount for that. Please post a picture of a mount you had done for $200. As far as taxidermists "ripping" people off, that is your opinion and only that. What is your job? Do you know the cost of everything that goes into a properly tanned hide and form to mount a deer? Most people shoot their mouth off just like you but in reality dont have any clue as what goes on to get a good deer mount. As I stated earlier I hope you get a good job done but it is true you usually get what you pay for!!! Waldo
Old 09-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's funny Freezer. I had a buddy that wanted me to mount his deer, after I told him a price he started stammerin'. He's an electrician, so I told him that I needed to wire my basement and he could come over and do it for free. Boy changed his tune! I asked him why it was alright for me to work for free but not him, needless to say he got the idea and I got to mount his deer. If you figure that a guy has over $150 in each mount, how much should he get? How much are you worth an hour? I know how much I am and I am not going any less......
Old 09-03-2007, 12:16 AM

LMAO..I knew that would get yalls panties in a wad..Im not knocking yall around..Im just saying that the prices are way out of control and the thoughts of them going up is ridiculous..I have plenty of pics. but I cant figure out how to put them on here(sorry)..But if you want youre welcome to have them mailed to you as long as you return them back..I understand how much work goes into a mount. My taxi does most of it himself, except for the form that comes from Mckenzie other than he does the scapel work, tanning , painting , fleshing , <---by hand, all of it.

Now if its a great deal to the mount like floor mounts, half-body or full mount yeah the price goes up..But shoulder mounts with wall plaque behind it and brass plaque goes for $200.00..Thats his price and Im

Now you can charge whatever you want to..I couldnt care less..But Im going to where the deals at and to be honest;I can't tell the diffrence between his and someone elses thatcharges $400+..He works a fulltime job and does it on the side for some extra cash..Probably 100 heads every season not counting fish,bobcats,bear,elk,and whatever else people bring him..

Truthfully..IMO..Yeah you guys are ripping people off..I can get 2 heads mounted for your one and yes His is just as good as any Ive ever seen ANYWHERE..He is licensed..He has beautiful work..And his prices are perfect..I recommend him to anyone..If you cant take it move on to the next forum. Im very busy. Have a nice day!
Old 09-03-2007, 01:18 AM

Oh yeah I forgot to mention:
Turkeys in full strut : $300.00
Fan Mounts with beard and place to put a 4x6 pic. $75
Deer Euros : $50 w/pedestal for wall or platform for shelves
Horn Mounts: $25 w/pic $35
Fish :$100 w/drift wood
Bigger Fish: Like Cats,Striper,$150 w/drift wood
Deer Feet : for gun racks etc. : $25
I use to pay $175 for shoulder mounts but the forms went up and he had to increase to $200 he throws the brass in for free..
Also does lamp bases, yote pedestals,fox,raccoons, you name it..
He must do something right becuz his business is growing and has had to turn people down becuz he hasnt the time to do them all..And some of them are from out of state..
Old 09-03-2007, 04:52 AM

I would politly tell this guy not to quit his day job.... unless of course t is mounting more furry critters.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

That just proves the point that a fool is born every minute. Wait til October when McKenzie comes out with it's catalog and see how his prices change. Most forms are going up near 20%. So we, as actual taxidermist, have to pass those savings on to you. I look at it that taxidermy is a luxury item, some shouldn't be able to afford it. Heck I can't afford all the things that I want but some of my clients seem to want to pay the extra. AMOF I just conformation on 3 more lifesize bear and 1 rug.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 PM

Taxis are born every minute too..I'll do it myself before I pay $400 for it.

Quick Reply: Dosent look right????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.