Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 what to do with a coyote? >

what to do with a coyote?

Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

what to do with a coyote?

Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default what to do with a coyote?

I might have a chance to take a coyote while turkey hunting in a couple weeks, and was wonder what i could have done with it other than getting it mounted. i was thinkin about either a euro mount or getting the hide tanned. about how much do you think i could expect to spend on either of these things? also, if im lucky enough to shoot it, it'll be with a 12 gauge with 5 shot, would this do too much damage for the skin to be tanned? thanks alot.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:27 PM

Default RE: what to do with a coyote?

A coyote would be worthless at this time of year. Unless you feel the need to kill it because its a predator, which I dont, I wouldnt bother. That same animal will be a beautiful trophy in November or December though. As a taxidermist, I dont even accept them this time of year, the hair quality is poor, the skull would be the only part to salvage. Just my opinion!
Old 05-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Spike

I agree with Mr. Yox, unless youreally want toshoot one, (if the numbers are hurtingthe turkey population) thensave your ammo for awinter yote.In fact I just brought up this topic on another site, as my neighbor just gave me a yote he shot yesterday. The pelt on her is just ugly and mangy this time of year, and no matter how muchtalent I, or any other taxidermist, have; the yote just won't makethat nice of a mount, definately not as nice as a winter-kill.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the input guys, the turkey population is just getting established in my area, so thats part of the reason i'd take it out, but i was told the fur looks pretty good for this time of year, here's a pic, what do you think?

Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you have alot of coyotes around you if you think you'll get one turkey huntin with the shotgun so I'd say pile em up when ya get the chance. I've seen a couple while turkey huntin. I hate coyotes cuz they have ruined some great hunting around our area for pheasants and grouse along with the other predators like coon, griners, and raptors and we have more coyotes than anyone could care to have. We trap them but no way can you ever catch them all cuz they just get smarter and smarter. I'll shoot a coyote any chance I get. So if you do get one I'd tan it for fun maybe get a kit to self tan it so it doesn't cost much and then I'd boil the skull and keep that too. WCL
Old 05-11-2007, 09:33 PM

That coyote looks clean, summer coat is in and smooth, but still, not a nice winter prime. Females are always ratty this time of year if they had pups, from being in the den. In some areas, they dont cast the winter coat till after the pups are born. Hey enjoy your turkey hunting!