Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 amatuer work - comments pls >

amatuer work - comments pls

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

amatuer work - comments pls

Old 03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: amatuer work - comments pls

Tremendous help guys, I think I'll direct him here to see the responses regardless of positive or negative feedback because its helpfull, and he's man enough to take it.
As stated he basically just watched a video then took a stab at it,his work canonly get better.
Only problem is the guy could walk 20 miles thru the bush blindfolded, but could never find this site, he calls it the "interweb"

Thanks for all replies and keep them coming. I wouldn't hestiate to send him a trophy simply because I couldn't afford a pro job anyways, and you guys all told me months ago that a botched shoulder mount could be rehabiltated into a good crown mount, so no worries.

Thanks again
Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 PM

Buy plenty of Reference Material!!!!!!!

I'm not saying he can't learn, because I hope to never see some of my earlier mounts again, but all of the mounts need a tremendous amount of attention to reference material. The ears, eyes, lip line, nose pad, etc. of the deer need a lot of work and the only direction I know to give is buy reference and learn to read it. WASCO sells a great WTC video of Cary Cochran explaining how to read reference. I'm sure part of the problem is lack of experience with the actual process, so they also cary several WTC videos on mounting whitetails. All videos are not created equal and you can seldom go wrong with the WTC videos.

The birds need a lot of work and looking at any photo of a flying bird would allow you to see the birds aren't even close. But, don't give up. He will have to overcome his lack of experience with the taxidermy process to improve and learn to read reference. Do not take this personal. In order to improve in Taxidermy you must be willing to take constructive criticism.

I can't say it enough. Reference, Reference, Reference!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Fork Horn

It's too bad your friend doesn't use the internet. I would suggest he log on to taxidermy.net. He could learn a world of info there in a very short time. The site is loaded with experienced taxidermist that are more than willing to help out a beginner as well as a seasoned veteran. You might tell him it would be well with the time and effort to consider it.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

He should try better quality eyes, like tohickons', those deer eyes are old style van dykes'.
Ducks need work on teh tails, they should be fanned out.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

I have never mounted a deer before so I dont know too much about the detail work, but the very first thing I noticed were the low ears and high scull plate in the first picture. Since im assuming thatthere will be a lotof people who will be looking at this mount that have also never mounted a deer, that would be the first thing I would try to improve on.

I must say though, he did a whole lot better than I would have done on my first!
Old 03-24-2007, 11:15 AM

Your friend needs to get some good reference, and start going to taxidermy conventions and and seeing seminars, etc. and even competing with his mounts so the judge can critque him and tell him how to get better. The mounts have a lot wrong with them as some people already mentioned so I won't give a critique.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow...that's really nice.....
Old 03-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Awesome work for being an amatuer!
Old 04-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

looks good
Old 04-03-2007, 10:47 AM

NEEDS A LOT MORE PRACTICE IS HE TANNING THE HIDES HIM SELF?

Quick Reply: amatuer work - comments pls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.