Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 how do i clean up a skull? >

how do i clean up a skull?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

how do i clean up a skull?

Old 02-25-2007, 06:45 PM

Default how do i clean up a skull?

i found a hog skull yesterday and want to make it snow white. people have told me to put it in peroxide. How would yall recommend i do it? here's some pics

Old 02-25-2007, 06:47 PM

Default RE: how do i clean up a skull?

another

Old 02-25-2007, 06:48 PM

and one more

Old 02-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Fork Horn

You can try useing a strong proxide that will work. Also bleach will whiten it but i don't know about snow white.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know where people get the idea that bleach is safe to use, but it's not. Itcan ruin bone very quickly. That skull needs cleaned before any whitening can be done. Let it soak in a bucket of water for a couple weeks. Some Dawn dish soap in the watermay help as well. After soaking, rinse and scrub with a soft brush and see how clean it is. If it's still dirty, let it sit for another week or until you think it's as clean as it's going to get. Then it can be whitened using peroxide.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Cabela's... They have a skull bleaching kit
Old 03-08-2007, 09:26 AM
Typical Buck

WILDLIFE TAXIDERMY
BY
RICHARD G. SANTOMAURO
1732 HIGHWAY #71
WALL NJ 07719
Phone# 732-449-5950
E-MAIL [email protected]
Web page address: http://www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com
European skull mounts or any skulls

In my shop I use 35% peroxide. First take off most of the meat and brains, cover the skull not the horns with the peroxide, use rags around the base of the horns so the peroxide can leech up to the underside of the burr. After a week or two (depends on how well you cleaned it) rinse it in dawn dish detergent and water till it comes out clean, place it in the sun to dry. If it is the way you want it, then cover it with modge-podge high gloss and it will be sealed and stay clean forever. If you used bleach the modge-podge will seal the skull and stop the flaking that can go on forever. You can put the skull back into the peroxide as many times as you like, but if you notice the skull is falling apart take it out, you have left it in too long. You will have to glue the teeth into the skull. Never use bleach because it will continue to breakdown the bone forever. We do not boil the skull as most of the time it will fall apart if kept in too long.

Rich

Old 03-11-2007, 12:56 PM

just do it very carefully... 30% perioxide for about 1-2 weeks... take it out of the bucket and then clean it. Get an air gun and spay paint it white with a little clear coat mixed..... if you want it done properly then just send it to jay at skulls unlimited
Old 03-11-2007, 03:03 PM

I had this one done at Skulltaxidermy.com I just sent them the whole head and they took care of it. They do about 4 different kinds of metal, or just white. This cost me $190:

Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Spike

I have been doing european skull mounts for about 10 years now and I think I have a simple process that has excellent results! The skull that you have looks like it has been sitting in the elements for a while causing some natural staining. First I would wash it with some dawn dish detergent and see how clean it gets. If their is still some staining try soaking it in a bucket of coleman lantern fuelin a safe place as its very combustable.I usually only soak bear skulls andpredator skulls as they are very greasy.But the coleman fuel might help in your situation. After it sits for a week take it out and wash with water and continue to flush with water until their is no more fuel residue. Let it dry and go to a beauty supply store and buy Clairol Basic White bleaching powder. Its a powerfull hair whitener that doesn't eat bone. Mix the powder with liquid peroxide (40%) into a gravy consistency and brush onto and into the skull completely covering it. Place into a clear garbage bag and place outside in the sun for 24 hrs. after 24 hrs. open bag and wash off all paste residue. repeat the was bath and let soak in water for a few hours. Take the skull out and hang it up to dry. You can leave it like that or spray a clear coat sealer on it. The only sealer that will keep your skull white is Krylon clear coat. Any other spray tints either rose or yellow with age. Good Luck!!!

Quick Reply: how do i clean up a skull?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.