Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 when is it too late to skin? >

when is it too late to skin?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

when is it too late to skin?

Old 02-09-2007, 10:41 AM

Default when is it too late to skin?

Hey guys,
my buddy shot a coyote on his property on tuesday afternoon and gave it to me this morning ( friday ) Is it too late to skin it and tan it ?
rigor mortis is starting to set by the way.
I wanted to keep the pelt to hang on the wall.

Old 02-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: when is it too late to skin?

If he shot it Tue., rigor has LONG been set.Without knowing anything about temps, no one can say if it's good. If it's been frozen since then, you should be okay. If not, all bets are off. Predators should be skinned ASAP.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM

regarding temprature, The coyote was out in the field. nights were about mid 20's to 30ish and days ranged from50 to 60.
does that help out any?
Also I just got done skinning it and got a little slippage around the edges but the fur seems so far okay. I also have it streching right now cus that sucker was shrinking fast. I know i need to salt it to help prevent slippage but then what? let it dry for a couple of days? after that should I begin applying a softening oil? and for how long should i rub the inside down with soften oil. I have never done this before and figured this would be a great first attempt at it.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Typical Buck

It will likely slip badly through the process, but you have nothing to lose. Right now you need to flesh, split eyes, ears, nose, and lips. Then salt and let dry. After that comes the tanning process, which involves more than I can type here. If you go to http://rittelsupplies.net/ there are instructions on what you will need to do. That's a good tan to try out as well.