Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 Van Dykes Turkey Mount >

Van Dykes Turkey Mount

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Van Dykes Turkey Mount

Old 01-26-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Van Dykes Turkey Mount

Blindfold me and I could do better - This was the first bird that I have had mounted struting - I was fresh out of the gates with turkey knowledge and didn't spend time viewing other works - I just assumed that this was what you got - but you know what happens when you assume things - oh well - this was a 28 pound monster my father took - had it mounted for him but after viewing other works - got screwed - no question - I am looking into preserving the beard and tail - How do I go about getting those Items off this mount? Any other ideas? As you can tell - the turkey has a very respectful beard - The pic does not do this bird justice - nor does the mount!
Old 01-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

that sucks that happened. i would have took it to a guy that is known for taxidermy
Old 01-30-2007, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

No one can say how to remove the beard and tail without knowing how they were attached. Judging by the rest of the mount, I doubt they were attached well.Since damaging the mount probably isn't a concern, cut around the base of the beard and see what you have. It probably won't be too hard to get off. You may be able to do the same thing with the tail. However, the tail wouldn't be a big concern of mine. All turkey tails are pretty much the same, so gettinga replacementwouldn't be difficult. I would be more concerned about getting the beard and spurs. You should be able to take the beard and spurs to ANOTHER taxidermist and have a new mount done. The beard is taken off for mounting anyways, so it won't be a problem. The spur sheaths should be able to be removed and put on anther set of legs as well.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:37 PM

If it doesn't look like this one then it is a bad mount.

Body by Tab Hinton.
Freeze dried head by Tommy Knight.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Horrible
Old 01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

What did that Haxidermist charge you for that mount? If you don't mind mind me asking. I feel your pain!! Been down that road myself..[:'(]
Old 01-31-2007, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I think it was 300 - I got all 300 all right - it was my stupidity - I was not really for sure what a mount -full strut would look like - I assumed the guy knew what he was doing - he did a good job on the flying mount! yeah - I got all 300 inches - no lubrication!
Old 02-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man that made me laugh... Looked like he was doing one of those sumo wrestler walks... Man I did my own and I think it turned out much better...

And that head
Old 02-26-2007, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BIRD DOG

Strut

That thing is frightening! Got some good chuckles out of it... sorry how it turned out though. You could always use it to practice kicking 3 pointers through the uprights.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like it's doing the Mama Harper walk.

Quick Reply: Van Dykes Turkey Mount

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.