Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 How rare are blonde squirrels? >

How rare are blonde squirrels?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

How rare are blonde squirrels?

Old 01-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default How rare are blonde squirrels?

I've been watching a blonde grey squirrel. How rare are these compared to black grey squirrels and albino grey squirrels? I'll try to take a pic. I know the small game forum might be best but I'm betting taxidermists see more than small gamers.

I don't want to shoot it just to shoot it and if I do I will enjoy the meat and mount the animal.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How rare are blonde squirrels?

id let him go and shoot a standard squirrel...ive never seen one thats blonde and il bet not many taxidermists have either. Not many ever think about mounting a squirell

around here most red squirrels are red and most grey squrrels are grey or black somtimes a brown color
Old 01-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

I did a google on blonde squirrels. Said grey squirrels were absically the same color with slightly different shades. The fox squirrel are less common but range anywhere from pure black to pure "blonde". But if you have the blonde colored one out of the grey squirrel familiy, that would be kind of neat.
I would say if its legal, it would make a cool mount. But its yor call, I suppose watching it in the outdoors would be just as good.Do you know if it nesting close to your house? Maybe it would just hang around for a few years? My dog hasbeen playing with this onesquirrel the last few years. It will climb down the tree and chatter at her, then go back up.Kind of fun to watch though!
crutch

Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

crutch, yes it is, seems I'm seeing it daily now. I just left the window from watching it again. I rolled over this morning and looked out my bedroom window and called to my wife to see it for the first time as well. I'm waiting for it to come closer to get a nice photo. I'd love for it to hang around a few years at the same time, the lifespan of a squirrel is short. Our late season here is short so If I don't get a good photo, I may consider taking him. I'm torn. I have until Feb 3rd to decide.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'd go with a 20 gauge with #8 shot and try not to get too close so you blow it to shreds. take'r down rob!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted a pic in the other thread. Here is another.

My nephew got this in Garret Co. Maryland and I mounted it for him

Old 01-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brother in law ( the nephew's dad) got a black squirrel the other day and wants me to mount it. I didn't start it yet. He's looking for a piece of white birch to have it on.

I think the blonde squirrels are pretty rare. The one my nephew got is the first one I ever saw, dead or alive.

I can understand not wanting to shoot it. It is probably nice seeing it around the house. Then again, it would make a cool mount.

It's your call
Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM

cool nice mount!
i say mont the blonde as well!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM

id mount it. ive never seen a blonde squirrel dead or alive and would be very interesting to see. id get a pic before i shoot it though.

post pics ASAP if you can snap one.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bhw

I mount every blonde I can
HAHA! I knew that was coming. Funny stuff.

That thing is gonna die soon so you might as well pop him and get him mounted. All of a sudden one day he will be gone and you will never see him again, so you better get him now while you can. He could be lunch for a hawk tomorrow.

Quick Reply: How rare are blonde squirrels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.