Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Dried Velvet

Old 12-12-2006, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dried Velvet

I just had the weirdest deer ever brought to me to mount. A doe with antlers. No biggy right! Except the antlers are covered in dried velvet yet. Its flaked off in only a couple small spots. The guy harvested the doe a wk ago, and just got it back from the butcher, then decided he'd better mount it. I've never dealt with velvet before. I did a search here, andread how topreserve fresh velvet.You think I should put something on these antlers to preserve whats dried on? Whats recommended? I seen a Preserve-it solution in McKenzie's, and some velvet tans in Research. Or just leave it alone, seeing its dried on now?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Dried Velvet

I had shot a doe here once that had velvet, it was a three pointer.
So nothing real big and I never had her mounted but saved her antlers for a while. Over time the velvet cracked and peeled, and started falling off. About the only thing I can say is I wished I had her mounted as she would of been a nice conversation piece. Also when the velvet fell off the antlers were real pointed and sharp on the ends. Weird is and understatement on how she looked to me. Good Luck mounting her.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dried Velvet

check on taxidermy.net they might be able to help you there