Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

too much???????

Old 11-04-2006, 09:22 PM

Default too much???????

this morning at about 9 or so i shot a 14 point buck. the rack is nice and the deer is huge. i plan on getting the head and neck mounted. i called a local taxedermist who is very well known and does really good work. he said it would be $455 and take about 13 months to get it done. i am just wondering if this is a good deal or if i am getting ripped off. the only reason it will take so long is cuz he is booked solid till then with mounts to do. if anyone is wondering where i am getting it done it is Hawk Creek Taxidermy, in south central minnesota.
Old 11-05-2006, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: too much???????

I live in New York and that's around what the shops are getting here. My buddy is friends with a great taxidermist that has won several awards over the last few years. His price is now over $500!!!!
Call around, you might find a shop that's a little cheaper. I think $375 or $400 will be about the cheapest you can find.

Good luck and Congrats on the nice buck!

Mike
Old 11-05-2006, 07:22 AM

Congrats on the buck of a life time! I have gotten deer mounted before and I have paid alot and then not alot, itseems to be you get what you pay for. In your case you can look around for a better rate, but be sure you get an excellent mount because you have to look at it for the rest of your life. Specially a deer like that you want to look really good!
Old 11-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

deer beer11 - I have a question for you. Are you looking for a cheap price or do you want it right? Being a taxidermist, I see guys pull up in $30,000 trucks with $8,000 4 wheelers, getting out in their Scent lock suites and full camo, with their $200 boots on, shooting $2000 guns, getting back from their $2500 trips and they want a deal??? Huh? I understand you might not be one of those guys but this is something that you are going to look at for the rest of your life, a once in a lifetime deer, do you really want to go with someone less expensive who may not give the quality that this guy does? Check around and find out what you like. I don't take in a lot of work, I am part time but I charge more than most full time taxidermists in my area. You get what you pay for. BTW if you are paying $275 for a deer, that was the going rate in 1983, I would think that you might want someone who is up to todays standards. There are many variables, including region, that effects price, but if this is the guys rate and you want him to do it, then it sounds like a deal.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

Typically, you get what you pay for. If his work is as good as you think it is, he'll provide you with a beautiful trophy to last you a lifetime.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:23 PM

i guess KY is weird but there are many quality taxidermists round here for 300-350. i kno this may offend someone, but if i was asked 500 for a deer head i would walk out. Thats probably because im used to the 300 ive paid. My taxi does really good work as well. and since i was a kid, he put me at the top of the list ( as he does for all kids) so i got my deer head back in right at one month. i know this is not normsl results tho, just thoght i would share about what we pay around here.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:53 AM

nctaxi
i want a good mount for a good price. im not really sure what the average price around here is because i have never thought of doing this before. hopefully i will find that i got a good deal.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:35 PM

If you are talking to the local guy who is "very well known" and "does really good work" and his price is $455I have to ask; would you go with someone unknown who mayor may not do good work for $300? I promise you $155 5 years from nowwill not be felt in the least bit,but a really good mount will be enjoyed every day just asa bad mountis a kick in the teeth every time you look at it.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:48 PM

I say go with the guy if he is so well known. Last deer I had mounted was a great 12 pointer it cost $350 and took a year to get back. The mount is fair, kinda wish I would of paid alittle more for a well known person in the area that charges $500. You sometimes get what you pay for.
[&:]
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 AM

There is a guy out here who's doing nice work (seen many examples, and know happy customers) for $250. i think this is a rarity though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.