HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   How much salt?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/149755-how-much-salt.html)

FireDiver 07-30-2006 11:30 AM

How much salt??

How much salt can a guy expect to use in camp when salting an elk cape or a black bear hide???

Also, what is the best way to hang up the hides so plenty of air gets to them.....but the critters stay away (if that is even an issue)

Or, would it be better to freeze the hides and salt them at home???

nctaxi 07-30-2006 11:39 AM

RE: How much salt??

The great thing about salt is that it is cheap. You can never put too much on , but if you don't get enough, you're kinda screwed. If you have the ability to freeze them and get them home frozen, good. But on some hunts tha is not possible. Do you have a taxidermist or are you one? The reason I ask, is some taxi's like things a certain way, check with him/ her first, they will tell you how they want it. As far as Hanging the hide, take a "lodge"pole and string it between 2 trees. After salting the hides, hang them over the pole, keep it in a shaded area with the flesh side up. The only problem is with the intended targets, bears. Hope it helps

FireDiver 07-30-2006 12:04 PM

I do taxidermy as a hobby. I only have minimal salting experience because I send all of my deer capes to BND for skinning before Wildlife Gallery does their magic. (It is a space and time restraint thing)

I'm confident in my abilities....but have no experience salting in the field.

If I have easy access to a freezer....would that be the best option????

nctaxi 07-30-2006 01:09 PM

Salting in the field is no different. Plenty of salt, make sure you turn everything, etc.Try to skin as clean as possible. Yes, a freezer is the best, but sometimes not practical.

FireDiver 07-30-2006 02:45 PM

From my minimal experience, I would say the only difference is that I wouldn't have fans blowing on the hides in the field.

I think I'll find a freezer and salt them when I return home.

I've mounted two elk so far and I sent green hides to the tannery for skinning and tanning. It costs $100+ just for the skinning. Throw in the cost of tanning and supplies....and it is hard to make a decent profit.

I work 60 hr weeks at the firehouse and also have a part-time drafting job. Hard to find time in the fall to flesh and salt everything. I will probably start doing some of that work myself on deer.....and all of it on early season jobs like September bear and elk.

Thanks for the advice,
Scott

nctaxi 07-30-2006 03:10 PM

Scott - If I may, the only way to make a decent profit, is to raise prices. I don't work for free, and you shouldn't either. Look at it like this, how much would you make for working overtime? If you can't make that then why not just work the overtime. There is a give and take doing something you enjoy but it'll burn you out working for nothing.

FireDiver 07-30-2006 04:56 PM

I agree totally. 90% of my work is deer. I don't do fish or birds. My prices were cheap these first two years because I couldn't justify charging more given my experience.

Well, the response to my work has been awesome. Everyone so far has commented that I am doing much better than the next closest guy and they like getting their mounts back in 6 to 8 months instead of 18 months to two years. Several get their mounts back as early as February.

I plan on raising my prices to a bit to be much closer to the competition (although I don't look at them as competition) I'm just a guy enjoying a hobby and liking the extra income.

So, like you suggested, I am raising my prices and I can justify it three ways.....
#1....my quality (based on customer satisfaction)
#2....turn around time
#3....I just a hell of a nice guy;)

I will still be the least expensive in the area, but not by much compared to the next guy over. There are two TOP NOTCH taxidermists within 30 miles of here and I'm not up to their level....YET! I would have to raise my price a lot more to be at their level.

Add the price increase to the money I'll save by doing my own fleshing & salting.....and my profit margin will increase nicely!!!!!

I did a lot of work for "cheap" the first few years and I even provided replacement capes for next to nothing. I am established pretty good now and don't plan on too many "freebees" any more.

FYI....I did 26 deer last year and took in 57 this year. I also took in two elk, five bears and a few other furry critters. All without any advertising. I also got established with two large hunting clubs which are giving me a lot of work.

I took a big chance two years ago and so far everything is working out great. I'm just a hard working guy trying to build a new house for momma and junior:)
Thanks for your input,
Scott

nctaxi 07-30-2006 06:49 PM

Do yourself a favor, raise your prices so that they are above your competitor and below the good guys. I charge $50 less than the best in my area, but a lot higher than the others. If you are better than the other guy, and being one heck of a nice guy, you shouldn't have any problem. Besides if you lose a few you'll make up for it with better profits on the ones you do. By the way, check out the red fox form posted here, for those furry critters, also look for the coon and grey fox. All are available now with a bobcat coming soon. Do you like my sales pitch?? I am not making a dime on them, just helping a friend out.

trasiebert 07-30-2006 09:50 PM

I was wondering, does Borateen or Borax work well? I know it's more expensive, but I've heard it works a lot better than salt. What do you know?

nctaxi 07-31-2006 06:21 AM

The only thing I have ever used Borax for is a 50/50 mix with dp for birds. Sorry but I try not to experiment with things I haven't heard about. I use salt for it's ablilty to draw out bodily fluids and moisture. I haven't heard of Borateen. If you are interested, try one on an animal and let us know. I wouldn't use it on anything that I wanted to mount or means something to me or someone else.