Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 mount return time? >

mount return time?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

mount return time?

Old 03-16-2006, 07:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: mount return time?

Here is a question for ya'll. What do ya'll think about the taxidermist that you can never get on the phone and can only get a call back if you leave a message leaning towards the ...huh....well ugly side if you know what I mean? I shot the following deer the day after Thanksgiving 2005. I took it to his shop that Saturday morning. He has been in business in this area for 26 years and I went ahead ang paid him up front (I can't stand it when I owe people money) $400.00. He told me he would have it completed by the end of Feb. It is now March 16th. Not that it is that big of a deal yet on the completion date but the lack of communication is a pain. He was suppose to have the deer scored to see if it would make the 125 that is require to get a State award for the area that this buck came from. It was suppose to happen the first part of Jan. Called him the end of Jan. no answer and no return call. 2 weeks into Feb I call again and the same thing. 3rd week of Feb. I call again and leave a fairly strong message. Finally got a call back about a week ago saying the deer just missed the 125 mark. I am not sure if he really scored the deer or not. It is entirely possible that I pissed him off and he just wanted me off of his back, but in reality I am not that hard to please. If you give me a date and something happens where you are not going to make it just let me know and we are good. If the mount is ready in the next 60 days then I am fine with it. That would still be a good turn around time. I just hate being told one thing and then getting something else.

-john

Old 03-16-2006, 09:21 AM

John, I can only say how I would do it at my studio, but as I see it, those antlers belong to YOU. If I were you, Id drop by his place, pick up your antlers and go get them scored yourself. At that time you two could talk about the past due date. I know better than to promise return times, as it just doesnt work out that way here. It took me years to learn (the hard way) that I had to be honest and give customers a "worst case scenario" for estimates. We sometimes seem to be our own worst enemies! Like I said, go get your antlers scored, they belong to you. That gives you a contact opportunity at the same time. Id love to hear that hes simply behind and working to catch up...to you and others. By the way, your buck is nice, and looks like it would go close to 125. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Bill. I am proud of the buck. It does not really matter if he makes the mark or not. I just hate that there is almost no communication at all. Here's one more pic.

-john

Old 03-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted earlier about that same thing. I call all my customres if there is any problems, called one the other day because his cape was borderline short. It had just enough to make it to the back of the form, so I called him back and let him know it made it. It's his deer, as Bill says, if it were mine I'd want to know. It kills mewhen this subject comes up, if you're gonna be late, even one day, call and let someone know. It's really that simple, but some taxidermist view it as "this guy is a pain in the rump" or he's bugging me. It's his/her trophy!! Many don't agree with me, but if you can't make adeadline, don't make deadlines. Bill, it's great that you have customers so understanding. Many of mine are too. But I think it hurts the industry as a whole when you here this all the time.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

fat fingers at work...lol....fixed it......................bob