Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Taxidermy
 mount return time? >

mount return time?

Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

mount return time?

Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: mount return time?

Alex,
I do tan my hides, I don't send them out, but use McKenzie Tan. I salt 24, resalt til stiff, rehydrate, pickle in safety acid, shave, pickle, shave, pickle, neutralize, tan and then mount. The finishing process is where a lot of my time goes, after 2-3 weeks of drying. I rebuild the nose nodules, nictating membrane. If I knew how to post pictures on here I would, not ot prove any points, I just like the way I do it. If any one would like to see my deer, e-mail me : [email protected] and I'll send pictures. Granted I don't take in as much as Alex, this year so far - 16 deer, 2 coons, and a coyote. But have 3 deer coming (waiting on me), 8 bobcats ( 3 conventional mounts, 5 hangers) 7 coyotes ( 2 pedestal, 5 hangers), and some African stuff that I have to meet the guy Wednseday. Been putting people off waiting on the African stuff.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

NCtaxi, if you email me the pics I would be happy to post them for you.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Bionic, I will as soon as I get to the house, I am at work right now. Maybe you could tell me how, after I e-mail you the pics. Feel kinda computer illiterate, not knowing how, I just haven't posted much on this site. Believe it or not I am a graphics person, but i tried to send them direct and they won't go. But I know I can e-mail them.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:13 PM

well first i will say.....thanks to nctaxi people who pay attention to this thread will learn something! and i am like you nc, i only take 28 mounts a year, part-time. and with 5 antelope, 8 mule deer, 2 whitetails, 1 bobcat rug, and 4 pheasent fans completed i feel not to bad for a 1 man part-time shop.
and for well did you tan or dry preserve? come on ALEX we all now know that is just a line by taxi's. it only takes 2 days of salting, 3 days of pickle, and 1 day to tan and oil, for a true tan. thats 6 days total. thats it, so 10 weeks for a quality mount is about right. as long as he is not already 1 year behind schedule. sorry i get kinda worked up over this stuff![:@]

Old 03-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Manboy - I am not knocking anyone, I have friends that are 1 yr behind and with all they do, I wouldn't be able to keep up. But I also have friends that do it part time and they havn't even started with mounting yet. I have one buddy that took in 9 deer, and asks how I've gotten 14 done so far. Every evening I work in my shop, it may only be 2 hrs or 6, but I am there. I sent bionicrooster pictures, hopefully he can post them for me, there won't be any questions about quality.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:17 AM

I always cringe when I see these posts on time frames. Some get mad when guys state that long returns=better work, or that quick returns=bad work. I dont say either one. But I also dont like when guys say theres no way it should take a year, no way you should take in more than a years worth of work, or that you have to hire help. I feel like saying, "No sh*t, I never thunk of that!" Well, who HASNT tried monitoring what comes in, and who HASNT tried, repeatedly, to hire help. Yet heres me, I work every day, and I have a 2 yr wait. My work is top knotched, Im the highest price by a long shot, and Im up front about the return time. I even try to discourage new work in a subtle way to monitor numbers. So either it CAN take this long foran honest reason, or Im an anomoly?

I dont care for guys taking the shot at part timers or guys who cut corners, under the guise of return time. Most guys I know try to cater to the 80% out there who want quality, but also want good price and modest return time. Thats good business. Its a competitive market, though. That taxidermist knows he will cut some corners on how much time hespends ondetails on the mount, NOT that hes not able to do it, just that hes not being paid to do it, in a sense. The customers looks at the work, and after weighing in price and the prompt return, says its as good as anything else out there. And in most ways, it probably is. But there are still guys like me who charge as much as the market will support, to do the extra detail that the other 20% are asking for in a mount. Theres not as many of those guys, guys who get cranked on the fine details most dont see, but theyre out there. And because theres even less of us taxidermists trying to cater to them, we will have a workload that soon causes slower returns. Ive seen it so many times. The exception is the situation where a taxidermist can find and mantain good help. Thats very hard to do. Young kids cant be dependable (homework, family, social life, etc) and are often not as focused, your hunt buddies want to, but they also cant stay dependable as its not cost effective competing job, wages, family), and if you find someone to pay larger money to, (and benefits, insurance required in my state, etc) to compete with their other employment, they so often choose to start their own business. Some say that the new biz would hurt them, I dont, but what hurts is all the time you invested into him, to have him leave and you start the process again.

I hate talking about "how long" all the time, but I hope you all see there honestly ARE exceptions. If Im all wrong here, then why do I still get work every year, to stay this far out? We have been down this road in these threads before, but how else do you explain it?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill - you're exactly right, I agree 100%. I am a fan of yours and your work. People don't understand that there is alot that goes into a quality mount. I had one guy chastise me for taking 20 hours on a deer. I literally keep track of each deer that I do, writing down how long it takes for each step, under the guise of becoming more efficient, yea right! I am trying to cater to the people who appreciate the fine detail work. Heck i have a guy near me that charges $165 to Dp a deer, I won't compete on prices or turnaround, if they want it cheap go to him. By the way, interesting article in TT, I may have to order one when I can afford it. And what the heck was KJM and EARLS problem the other day with George?
Old 03-09-2006, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: manboy

well first i will say.....thanks to nctaxi people who pay attention to this thread will learn something! and i am like you nc, i only take 28 mounts a year, part-time. and with 5 antelope, 8 mule deer, 2 whitetails, 1 bobcat rug, and 4 pheasent fans completed i feel not to bad for a 1 man part-time shop.
and for well did you tan or dry preserve? come on ALEX we all now know that is just a line by taxi's. it only takes 2 days of salting, 3 days of pickle, and 1 day to tan and oil, for a true tan. thats 6 days total. thats it, so 10 weeks for a quality mount is about right. as long as he is not already 1 year behind schedule. sorry i get kinda worked up over this stuff![:@]
That would be right if you did 15 to 20 deers a year as nctaxi says, but apparently you didn't read my post on my work load, and you have no idea what taxidermy is about to put out 2000 mounts out a year.
as bill says finding help or qualify help in this business is practically impossible,It takes a deer skull 60 days to shrink to the proper size, so I don't see where you get a 10 week turn around and you call it properly.An skull that has not shrunk to its final size will eventually cause problems to the mount as the skin will detach from around the the antler base.
You are like the rest of the hunters I know, you think you are the only one that taxidermist works for, if that were the case I would have to charge 100,000 for your deer so that I can make a descent living.

I have being in he business 40+ years, while at least 10 shops in my area have virtually dissapeared, I must be doing something right that customers are willing to wait.

My poicy is, if you are not willing to wait, take it somewheres else.
many have and just to return crying for me to remount their cheap mounts.

I know My Bizz and Bill Yox knows his,I have seen his work which is excellent. There are many taxidermists but not many can be called master taxidermists.

Peace
Old 03-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you, Alex, about almost everything. There is such nominal shrinkage after 30 days, that I've never had a problem with that. I just want to state, and not in reference to you or anyone in particular, there are taxidermist that have a year waiting list and that put out crappy work. They don't go hand in hand. In the end there's only one person who has to like a taxidermist work, and that's the guy paying for it. And I recommend to anyone hunting, find a taxidermist before ever pulling the trigger on a trophy. We've all seen posts about unhappy clients. Ultimately, it is our responsibility to let our clients know about turn around times and to keep to that schedule, even if it's telling him/her it'll be done whenever.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:34 PM

the only thing that pi$$sss me off by pro taxi's is that line of crap about a fast return time. well he must have dp it, not tanned it! that is BS. AND ALL OF USE TAXI'S KNOW IT! and as far as drying time on a skull, little hint for you use a wood or pellet stove in a small room.speeds those things up a little bit.

Quick Reply: mount return time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.