HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Cape question? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/131678-cape-question.html)

mark nelson 02-04-2006 10:11 AM

Cape question?

This past fall I hunted Muskox and Arctic caribou,I can send photos of them. I had planned to do a 1/2 body mount on the muskox and shoulder mount on the caribou but have since changed my mind and will be doing European mounts on both. Both capes have been fleshed, salted and are ready for tanning to recover this cost I'm thinking I'd like to sell the capes. Could anyone tell me the value of them?

rgswildlife 02-04-2006 10:23 AM

RE: Cape question?

caribou capes go for $250-375
Musk oxe ???
Rich
www.rgswildlifetaxidermy.com

Alex The Hawk 02-04-2006 03:10 PM

$500-600 for the muscox ?

one on one 02-04-2006 07:24 PM

mark thats good money, good luck, send pic of the muskox, thanks

mark nelson 02-05-2006 08:47 AM

Musk ox,
http://groups.msn.com/MarkandLaRita/huntingphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=48

Caribou
http://groups.msn.com/MarkandLaRita/huntingphotos.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=51

Windwalker7 02-05-2006 10:09 AM

Very nice pics. Are you sure you don't want to get those mounted? Those would look awesome mounted. I don't know, I'd reconsider ifI were you.

mark nelson 02-05-2006 10:24 AM

Pure and smiple, economics, $$$, I can't keep hunting like I want to and pay the taxidermy bill. LaRita and I already have 15 or 16 animals at the taxidermist plus these 2 and we leave in 3 1/2 months for Africa where we plan to take 5 to 8 more! Then I've got a caribou hunt booked for this fall, so there is 2 more to add to the list, and I'm looking ata brownbear hunt for next year... Again I just can't keep hunting like I want to and pay for all these mounts. Plus our den isn't that big and we're running out of space to put all this stuff. So I've decided if it has horns from now on I'm doing European mounts, unless its well above average or a very special hunt. I'd rather spend the money on hunting and a few really good mounts than mount everything I hunt.

BigBuckShooter 02-05-2006 01:20 PM

If it was me I would at least get the capes tanned, and then at a later date if you add more room or want to get them mounted you still can...and if you want to sell them you still could.

Bill Yox 02-05-2006 01:42 PM

PLEASE dont take offense to this, as Im being honest and mean NO offense...I couldnt think of taking an animal as nice as that without mounting it. Id rather not take the animal. Im NOT saying you shouldnt have, I hope you understand. Maybe its because Im a taxidermist. I hear guys say they wouldnt kill something unless they could gnaw on it. I still coul;d shoot stuff Im not going to eat though. But I dont think Id wanna take african or north american "one time" trophies unless I could mount them. I see the delemna with the room size. Too bad you couldnt work out an arrangement with a taxidermist you trust, and share the expense to have it mounted for his display or showrrom, anything to help you out. I can see not mounting every buck or turkey, but if I got a muskox, for example, its gotta get hung up! Mark, do you have an outfitter friend that might be able to help you, or anything like that? Ive arranged with a client to have him pay for just the material and I mounted the trophy for display, and he would agree to pay the balance once he was able to house the mount himself. Maybe that would work with you and a reputable taxidermist? Interesting spin, Id say, regardless. I personally dont know the worth of a muskox cape or LS skin, but the caribou isnt fetching as much if the cape cant be discerned from a more common subspecie.

By the way, guys, keep in mind, if you DO choose to have trophies tanned now, for a change of mind later...Tanning has a shelf life, not that itll fall apart, etc, but rather for "workability" for the mount. If you have it tanned, store it in a freezer until its mounted.

one on one 02-05-2006 05:24 PM

mark you've got a point, great pics. hope for the best on your hunts,let us know how they go.

ORIGINAL: mark nelson

Pure and smiple, economics, $$$, I can't keep hunting like I want to and pay the taxidermy bill. LaRita and I already have 15 or 16 animals at the taxidermist plus these 2 and we leave in 3 1/2 months for Africa where we plan to take 5 to 8 more! Then I've got a caribou hunt booked for this fall, so there is 2 more to add to the list, and I'm looking ata brownbear hunt for next year... Again I just can't keep hunting like I want to and pay for all these mounts. Plus our den isn't that big and we're running out of space to put all this stuff. So I've decided if it has horns from now on I'm doing European mounts, unless its well above average or a very special hunt. I'd rather spend the money on hunting and a few really good mounts than mount everything I hunt.