HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   XTRA Large form? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/121462-xtra-large-form.html)

BowyerNADE 11-17-2005 08:08 AM

XTRA Large form?

I am getting my trophy buck shoulder-mounted and i wanted to use a form that is representative of its true size, the tape stretched 32" directly behind the ears and 37" in front of the front legs and i am wondering if there is a form of this size or similar?

Thanks[&:]

Alex The Hawk 11-17-2005 02:56 PM

RE: XTRA Large form?

You might be able to find one that goes 28 in full rut and then the taxidermist would need to modify the form to enlarge 4" of the circumference, I' ve done it quite a few times, but I have never seen a whitetail in the US with those measurements is it from the US or Canada ?[:-]

Bill Yox 11-17-2005 04:45 PM

The measurements we as taxidermists speak of are a circumference just below the ears, the head/neck juncture, but on the meat, NOT over the skin and hair. Also, that second measurement is 3 inches down the back of the neck, while the tape stays in the same place in the front. Theres plenty of large forms available, and like Alex said, we routinely alter for larger size.

BowyerNADE 11-18-2005 11:23 AM

The buck was shot here in central Saskatchewan and he has the huggest neck i have ever seen. The measurement was taken with the fur on so i probably will lose about 3" so a 28" form might do well. I wish i took the measurements on the muscle (his neck looked much like a young bull elk for sure)

where might i find that form is there a website i can order from or a number i might call? thanks

Alex The Hawk 11-18-2005 12:19 PM

Mckenzie Taxidermy supply has several positions with 28 to 281/2' necks

1-800-279-7985

BowyerNADE 11-18-2005 12:53 PM

Thanks man, was going bonkers trying to find one of this approx size.

Bill Yox 11-18-2005 11:23 PM

Most of the supply companies make one 8 x 22 x 27 or 28. Guys just alter them from there. I have one I made at my studio thats 8 x 24 x 32, its a huge Ohio buck. Yes, those are meat measurements, NOT over the hair. Thats a brute!

Alex The Hawk 11-19-2005 09:12 AM

Just a suggestion, bucks like that don't come every day, I would have it professionally mounted if it has nice antlers, I wouldn't use it to learn.

A cape that big would bring a hefty price in the taxidermy market.

moosehunter21 11-22-2005 09:51 AM

Just a suggestion, bucks like that don't come every day, I would have it professionally mounted if it has nice antlers, I wouldn't use it to learn.

A cape that big would bring a hefty price in the taxidermy market.
I would not use a cape that huge for a pricatice.

kshunter 11-29-2005 11:22 AM

32" inches.. wow, the neck on the deer mount would look like a balloon, and nearly unrealistic. I'd personally go with the 28" max.