HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Taxidermy (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy-50/)
-   -   Average cost of a deer head mount? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/taxidermy/121369-average-cost-deer-head-mount.html)

erope 11-16-2005 03:55 PM

Average cost of a deer head mount?

Just curious what an average cost of having a deer head mount? Like a shoulder mount? Never looked into it but have always wondered.

A bolt fan 11-16-2005 06:18 PM

RE: Average cost of a deer head mount?

The guy I use charges $350.00.

Bill Yox 11-16-2005 06:51 PM

Therange varies with quality, style and even location. Around me youll see numbers from $300 on up...Im $550 plus.

caseyF 11-16-2005 06:55 PM

I'm a taxidermist in MI and I charge 375.00 this seems to be the going rate around here but I've heard that some taxidermists in other parts of the country are as high as 800.00.

MOHunter88 11-16-2005 07:29 PM

Most around me seem to be around $300-$500

erope 11-16-2005 09:44 PM

Do you guys have any tips on shopping around for a taxidermist?

mncarphntr 11-17-2005 08:14 AM

Beware of the cheap ones but high prices don't always mean good work either. Look at his work, not just the show pieces but also the average customer head. Look at eyelids, nostril detail, alignment of hair patterns, etc... In my area ( northern MN) heads run from 300-600. I charge 375 as abasement part-timer. Just remember it will be on your wall a long time!

Bill Yox 11-17-2005 04:55 PM

Go talk to the potential taxidermist, and listen to him as well as look at his work. If he speaks well of those around him, and doesnt bad mouth others, at least you know youd be dealing with someone with character, who you could trust. As for the work, all it needs to do is please you. Many of us have won numerous awards, but thats not the only way to measure a good job. Part time, full time, that shouldnt matter either. If the eyes have life (we are talking about the mount now!) and the expression is pleasing, thats all good. If you wanna pay for fine detail, make sure its there. Some folks are looking to find nice work and affordable price, and will comprimise slightly to get both. Its up to the customer. In this case, beauty truly IS in the eye of the beholder. Ive seen heads posted in the hunting site that guys are bragging about, that others, me included, couldnt even comment on, they were so bad. But, someone liked them! Good luck with your choice this year!

Alex The Hawk 11-17-2005 07:49 PM

I charge $400 on an average deer shoulder mount, tanned skin not dry preserved.

VegasJeep 11-18-2005 12:55 AM

The guy I use is 550. He is the best in the busiuness.

Out of Tucson, they are called Lippert/Doyle Taxidermy