Community
Taxidermy Tips and questions about taxidermy and the art of preserving the memory of your hunt.

Sick of waiting

Old 07-02-2005, 01:02 PM

Default Sick of waiting

I called my taxidermist 3wks ago to check on my deer and red fox and he said it would be done in a week or 2. I knew better but I cant wait to get them back. I forgot what they look like. He does excellent work and I would put him up against anybody,so Ill let it slide. Ive got another red fox to take in but I wont be biting my nails waiting for that one since Ill already have one done. When I get them back Ill post pics along with a mallard I had done by him.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Default RE: Sick of waiting

Maybe his majic wand is broken,LOL
Old 07-02-2005, 06:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya I know what you mean..
I've got a total of 11head mounts done and not one
of them has been done in less that a year and a half. and some have taken over 2 years..
I remember the first couple seemed like forever to get to me but as I collected more and more its just a fact..
Its an art and it takes alot of time to do...But those mounts look unbelievabe and are well worth the wait..He reaaly loves his work and it shows..
The thing I love about my Taxidermist is the fact that he calls me and lets me know whats going on..
I'm currently have a mule deer being mounted that I harvested last Nov he phoned me up about 2months ago to let me know that
he just sent the cape in for wet tanning..
So maybe with any luck I might have it by Jan of next year but I'm not holding my breath..
I've got picture framed on the wall to remind me of it for the time being..

Old 07-03-2005, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Jeff Ovington

The thing I love about my Taxidermist is the fact that he calls me and lets me know whats going on..
I'm currently have a mule deer being mounted that I harvested last Nov he phoned me up about 2months ago to let me know that
he just sent the cape in for wet tanning..
So maybe with any luck I might have it by Jan of next year but I'm not holding my breath..
Holy Crap Jeff if that was my deer I'd be steamn mad. 6 month pass and he just sent it to the tannery??

did you Cape it out or did he? This may explain the 18 month wait? you may have another trophy deer on the way to him before you see your first one back.

I had a mount done last your and yes my guy does it as a hobby (really good work) He only takes in 12 or so deer (that all he does is deer) Works on the mounts on his off days or after dinner.

I think some of the top name taxi's take in more then they can chew hence the long wait. But some people dont mind.

AL
Old 07-03-2005, 02:43 PM

The people who do this well are artists, and good art takes time.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:25 PM

I think some of the top name taxi's take in more then they can chew hence the long wait. But some people dont mind.

Heres the catch...we take in what we can do in a year the very first season. From there, if our work is something others like, more work shows up. So, we can...1) keep raising the price to adjust the numbers that come in, until even good customers cant justify the price, or...
2) turn people away, including good customers who "shot their trophy too late" and offend someone, or...
3) quote longer return times in hopes that some folks will say WE are****ing nuts, and go elsewhere.

See what Im saying? If your work is sought-after, you cant turn them down. I tell my customers up front how long its going to be. I tell them its at least this amount of time, or more. I used to get in trouble when I wasnt up front about it, or went way over what I did say.

Its not an easy solution, but the decent customers will understand, if you give them something worth waiting for. If theyre only wanting a nice clean commercial mount, theyll go elsewhere and be happy there too.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think that is the greatest problem Bill, if the guy would just quote an honest time line to start with i think everyone would be happier , the customers would not be bothering him by calling to see if it is done and the taxidermist would not have to think of excuses as to why it is not done .i have had four things done so far and i have two deer heads in right now and none has even come close to the time line quoted when the head was taken in , most were at least twice as long and the two i have in right now are five months overdue
Old 07-06-2005, 03:15 PM

That is why I tell my customers 8 months to a year.
I always wonder about taxidermist that promise 2 months 3 month turn around, there are no tanneries that will do work in less than 5 months,plus you have to salt cure the hide before you send it, how can a taxidermist promise 2 months ? The skull bone takes 60 to 90 days to shrink as it dries to its final size if you mount it before it dries the skin will pull away from the base of the antlers, Iam sure you all seen that.

No taxidermy is not an overnight thing or pick up at the window.
I suspect it will never be.
Alex
Advance taxidermy sevices ,Inc.
Miami fla
Old 07-06-2005, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well BillI think ALL taxidermist are ****ING nuts or they would not even get into that business ...I think thats what makes them artest ..being a little nutty ... ;&gt)

Doc
Old 07-06-2005, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Alex The Hawk

That is why I tell my customers 8 months to a year.
I always wonder about taxidermist that promise 2 months 3 month turn around, there are no tanneries that will do work in less than 5 months,plus you have to salt cure the hide before you send it, how can a taxidermist promise 2 months ? The skull bone takes 60 to 90 days to shrink as it dries to its final size if you mount it before it dries the skin will pull away from the base of the antlers, Iam sure you all seen that.

No taxidermy is not an overnight thing or pick up at the window.
I suspect it will never be.
Alex
Advance taxidermy sevices ,Inc.
Miami fla
[/quote

yes that is great but the ones i am talking about were quoted anywhere from year to year and half and they still too twice that time

Quick Reply: Sick of waiting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.