Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
Homemade bow target >

Homemade bow target

Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Homemade bow target

Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM
Spike

Exclamation Homemade bow target

So I am in need of a target to shoot my bow. I made one this morning just to be able to try shooting. It was made out of a larger 6 inch thick foam cushion. Works great except my arrows go through it sometimes. I'm standing about 20 yards away, not exactly but fairly close to 20 yards. I was wanting to know if anyone has ever made their own targets. What can you use? How can you make a target your arrows won't go through?
I don't have money to buy one, please don't be cruel. I'm really asking to find out how to make my own targets. I've got 3 regular couch cushions with covers still on them, two different size 6inch thick or so foam cushions, and I've got a zippered bag that a standard size pillow came in more then half full of plastic bags. I also have ply wood pieces and other tools to build. Can someone help? Can I use this kind of stuff for a target? If not what works?
Old 08-25-2016, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Yard sale or goodwill old clothes. Pack em in the bag and shoot away. Blue jeans will take a ton of hits. Wad them up good and tight!

Edit I would say a foot thick to stop most arrows in the 300fps range. also just to be sure you are shooting field tips not broadheads to practice right?

Last edited by Tufrthnails; 08-25-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:24 PM
Spike

I have one field tip and my husband gave me two broadheads, I only shot the broadheads twice.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

...Deleted by CalHunter....

Last edited by CalHunter; 08-27-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Rules 2, 8 & 12--Same 2 month temp ban.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Spike

No I'm starting from the bottom. I'm hitting the targets and know what I'm doing enough to start practicing or i wouldnt be practicing. I'm not planning to go hunting any time soon, I have to practice! Practice makes perfect! No one starts out know exactly what to do. The arrows my husband gave me to let me practice with are for my bow. I'm not a rich snob that can go out and buy a target whenever I want. Therefore I'm being productive with what I have so I can practice. I know enough to practice, but I am still learning so therefore I am asking questions, yes to total strangers but so what, you need to stay off my post. You're rude. Like I said before, NOONE is going to go out to shoot for they're first time and know everything they need to know, that's why you practice, practice to get better and improve. I'm not saying I'm amazing at shooting, its my first time. I was simply looking to learn. This post was asking about a target, because that's what ive got for targets right now, that's what we we're going to make my targets out of any how I just felt like taking advantage of the nice weather we were having where i live and go practice shooting my bow! So therefore I wanted to see what others could tell me about making a target, and I listed what had to make one so someone might be able to help me. You are not helping. Your being a pain, and if youve every done anything in your life you would know everything takes practice and learning, your not going to go out and know how to do something perfectly the first tine you do it. But guess what for the first time shooting I hit my target every time. At the foam and cushions targets I made without spending any money. And let me tell you what, my targets worked great, just as good as one I'd buy.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

You might see if there's a local archery range or club nearby. I have one a 1/2 mile from me and have noticed they charge a very nominal fee for shooting at their club which has several shooting scenarios and targets laid out, kind of like walking from one golf course hole to another. I haven't got into archery yet so don't know everything this club offers but I would imagine that most clubs also offer some instruction as well and perhaps even discounts on equipment.

You might want to be very careful about a club though as you could end up like some gun nuts that get a job in gun stores they frequent and pretty much never see a paycheck cause they've already spent it on guns and gear. It's a tough affliction to suffer through but all of them seem to have a big grin on their faces.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

I'm
Old 08-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Spike

Anything like that is going to be a drive for me. We kind of live in the middle of no where haha, but I'll look into it see what's around haha
Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I learned shooting straw bales
Old 08-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
I learned shooting straw bales
That'd be a good idea too, did they work for targets?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.