Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
Archery with both eyes open >

Archery with both eyes open

Community
Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Archery with both eyes open

Old 03-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Both eyes open all the time for me. Not only does it allow for a better field of view, peripheral vision, but it helps in judging depth of field. I have also found that it helps in a situation that might require a quicker than normal shot with a bow such as small game or waterfowling.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bronko22000
my problem is that i was trained to shoot a bow right handed because that is all I had access to but I am left eye dominant. Earlier iin my shooting, with the recurve it was no problem. But when I started using a compound and sights, I found that it was easier for me to draw and set then close my left eye so i could 'bear down' on the target.
This way i did not have to worry about my left eye taking over. And as for trying to shoot left handed, its really tough when your muscles have been trained all you life to shoot a bow right handed. Sort of like trying to wipe your butt with your left hand. Damn near impossible....
bronko I am the exact same way. I am a right-handed person but have a dominant left eye. I shoot long guns left-handed with both eyes open and it feels perfectly natural to me.

When I started out with a bow the question was never asked about eye dominance. I was handed a right-hand bow and I just went from there. When I shoot my right-hand bow it feels natural (good form and strength ) but I have to close my dominant eye and I know my accuracy suffers a little. Depth perception also suffers. It also takes me longer to focus on my target with my weaker right eye. I guess I should be shooting a left-hand bow.

I have often wondered if it would be possible to use some kind of a special sight that would allow a left-eye dominant guy to shoot right-handed and keep both eyes open?