HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Target Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/target-archery-95/)
-   -   home made target (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/target-archery/308388-home-made-target.html)

brandonxc 10-29-2009 06:11 PM

home made target

anyone have any home brewed ideas on how to make an inexpensive target?

Valentine 10-30-2009 12:26 PM

Inexpensive home target

1 - 4' x 8' foam insulation sheet(found at building supply stores) cut into 2' x 2' sheets for targets.

folded newpaper sections placed between 2' x 2' sheets.

masking tape to bind up the four ends.

The old bow used four sheets; the new faster bows might need an additional one or two 2' x 2' sheets. Experiment until you find the right combination.

After shooting awhile, rotate most of the 2' x 2' sheets, so the holes from the arrows don't line up. Change the newspaper section after shooting awhile. At some time replace the facing 2' x 2' sheet to make the face more presentable.

Use florescent dots stickers from a office supply store for the actual targets on the foam.

Note: You will not embed the target on either side in the home made target. The target stops the arrow. It doesn't completely embed the shooting point/ blade in the target, but prevents the arrow from exiting the homemade target.

If you want complete embeding, use more 2 x 2 sheets.

brandonxc 10-30-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Valentine (Post 3489789)
1 - 4' x 8' foam insulation sheet(found at building supply stores) cut into 2' x 2' sheets for targets.

folded newpaper sections placed between 2' x 2' sheets.

masking tape to bind up the four ends.

The old bow used four sheets; the new faster bows might need an additional one or two 2' x 2' sheets. Experiment until you find the right combination.

After shooting awhile, rotate most of the 2' x 2' sheets, so the holes from the arrows don't line up. Change the newspaper section after shooting awhile. At some time replace the facing 2' x 2' sheet to make the face more presentable.

Use florescent dots stickers from a office supply store for the actual targets on the foam.

Note: You will not embed the target on either side in the home made target. The target stops the arrow. It doesn't completely embed the shooting point/ blade in the target, but prevents the arrow from exiting the homemade target.

If you want complete embeding, use more 2 x 2 sheets.

how much paper do i put between the foam?

BleedinBuck 10-31-2009 12:48 AM

i just used a cardboard box from the mega pack of luvs diapers then cut more cardboard th fit inside the box and the cut pieces in the box until i couldnt push them in any more by hand then used a rubber mallet to get a few more in there and then wrapped the whole thing in duck tape and it suits me just fine only cost about 3.00 in tape the rest is free and it stops my arrows about 3 inches in and i'm shooting @ 75 lbs just under 300 fps hope this helps

wheelie 11-19-2009 02:47 AM

go to a feed mill store and get a feed bag. Fill it with old cloths and remove buttons and zippers. Tie the top closed when you have it full and paint your dot on it. You will have years of shooting and arrows come out easy and when bag wears out put cloth in the new feed bag and carry on. Works great.

The Rev 11-20-2009 07:39 PM

I've done the home made target thing, and decided it's easier and cheaper for me just buy new covers for my bag targets.

kevin1 01-04-2010 10:08 AM

Many brands of dog food come in woven poly bags instead of paper, I filled one of them with plastic shopping bags. It lasts quite awhile, and is about as cheap as it gets. The arrows seldom penetrate it by more than a few inches, and are easy to remove. I taped a paper plate to the face and drew a 2" circle on the middle of it for better focus, later I attached Daisy Shatterblast™ discs to it. The discs shatter into pieces when struck, which is always fun to watch.