HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Target Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/target-archery-95/)
-   -   3D in kentucky (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/target-archery/290570-3d-kentucky.html)

killzonearchery 03-29-2009 09:28 PM

3D in kentucky

I have been shooting around some 3d shoots in kentucky. I have been shooting high 290's , low 300's.How does everyone else figure out were the rings on some of these targets?

killzonearchery 04-06-2009 08:42 AM

RE: 3D in kentucky

does no one no

TFOX 04-06-2009 11:28 AM

There are cards that show the rings but the cards are not very reliable.Get a good pair if binos so you can see where the rings are and find spots to aim for.

killzonearchery 04-07-2009 12:58 AM

I tried that but there targets were to beat up

Greg / MO 04-07-2009 12:16 PM

It's a fact of life at local shoots... just the way it is often times.

It's probably my biggest gripe in 3d: I don't think I've had anyone disagree with me that's ever been a part of any group I've shot in... I think the scoring rings ought to be a contrasting color with the target. I DON'T think that "guessing where the rings are" should play into the outcome of the shoot.

The game ought to boil down to two things in my mind: 1) yardage estimation, and 2) shooting ability... NOT can I guess where the rings are? There's been many times I've stood at the stake searching desperately for any tell-tale sign of the 10-ring, and I've got a pretty nice pair of Nikon 10x42s and the scoring card to help as well... Been more than a couple times I've absolutely pinwheeled the spot I was shooting for ... only to find out when I went to pull the arrow that it wasn't the right spot.

I know it's a lot better when shooting at bigger clubs that have the money to replacetargets more often, but it can be pretty bad at some of the smaller shoots. Contrasting scoring rings would go a long ways to helping the problem.

killzonearchery 04-08-2009 08:14 AM

i agree cause u cant find rings at all on the targets and they got the money but dont want to spend the money

TFOX 04-10-2009 12:52 PM

I agree that contrasting ring colors would help find the spot to aim for but imo,finding the correct spot to aim for in 3-d is like unmarked yardage,just part of the game.

This was the main reason I didn't use a lens when shooting open class.I could glass the target and by removing the binos while finding a spot to aim for,I would find my spot with the naked eye but when I placed the lens on the target,I couldn't find the correct spot so I just went to trusting my naked eye and I immediately saw a difference in my scores.

I do agree that shot up targets present a problem.Some you can't even score after walking up on them.I pinwheeled a hog and blew right through the 11 ring,the person I was shooting with buried his fletching.(I shoot 56#'s and a 280 grain arrow).No reason for that to happen.There was one spot on the target you could see part of the 11 ring line.I told them that I blew through the 11 ring on a target and picked my arrow up on the back side of it,their response was I never shot through any target.I just bit my lip but wanted to tell him that if he had hit the 11 ring he would have.

Funny thing about this target was I was behind a group that had 4 people in it.3 were shooting from the hunter stake as I was.1 was a youth and moved up closer to shoot.I saw the youth shooter put 1 in the 11 ring.The other 3 shooters were all flirting with the 10 ring line,maybe in,maybe out.Couldn't tell but they were all around the OUTER edge of the 10.When we got back to the club house,the 3 shooting hunter turned in a 309,311 and a 312.I remembered that target and thought to myself,they didn't shoot that well when I saw them so I asked what they turned in on that target and all 4 had turned in 11's.:eek:

There wasn't even a visible 11 ring so you CAN NOT score the 11.(I took a 10 on that target because the 11 ring was gone)So ,they shot 11's on a target that only had a visible 10 ring and one in which they weren't even close to the 11.:D

On point,they were shooting faster than the 2 of us all day.Now,I have been around ALOT of good shooters and the one thing in common for good shooters hitting 12's or 11's is using their binos to study targets to find a spot to aim for and these guys were bairly using their binos and were speed shooting.They may have shot really well on the back half(it was short) We got in front of them at the halway point so I have no idea if they shot really well on that half and made up alot of points but I know on that 1 target,they fudged the truth.They were spot shooters so it is possible that they tore it up on the short ones but I found this funny.:D

DoctorDeath 04-22-2009 12:49 PM

KZ I have a buddy who has won the Kentucky 3D state championship 3 times ..James Malone ...he lives close ot me here in Paducah and works for West Ky Outdoors ...you might give him a call and he could answer your questions ...

dd

TFOX 04-23-2009 02:59 PM

I know James,pretty decent shot.I believe Greg knows him as well.

8mm 07-21-2009 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by killzonearchery (Post 3318885)
i agree cause u cant find rings at all on the targets and they got the money but dont want to spend the money

i been going to alot of shoots this year an the targets are just junk my arrow blows right through them even shooting NBR