Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Target Archery
 Think I finally have the desire to shoot again...... >

Think I finally have the desire to shoot again......

Target Archery Paper, foam or video screens, all things related to target archery. (Please use the IBO forum for IBO related posts)

Think I finally have the desire to shoot again......

Old 06-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Think I finally have the desire to shoot again......

Pretty sad to say, but last night was the first time in over 5 weeks that I've touched the bow. I honestly don't think I've gone this long without shooting since I was probably 13-14 years old.

Turkey season, family stuff, yard work, and 55+ hours a week at work has really prevented me from shooting much........so much on my plate to balance and not enough time to do it all. On top of that I let my membership at the sportsmans club lapse because of the recent move.............I'm now a good 20 miles from there and with gas prices as high as they are, it didn't make sense to drive that far. Because of this I haven't had any place to consistently shoot the bow past my 10 yard range in the basement...........and it's pretty easy to burn out at 10 yards shooting a vegas face.

So 2 nights ago Lisa and I were driving around exploring some of the country that is close to our new home. Less than 5 miles from the house, I happen to run into a different sportsmans club that I never knew of because they don't host 3D events. Turns out, they have a half field archery course,an indoor shooting facility with15+ shooting lanes, and outdoor bags out to 60 yards. I actually drive right by it on the way home from work if I take the long way home to avoid traffic, but somehow never knew it was there.

Tonight I went to the new club to fill out my paperwork to join and when I arrived a bunch of the guys on the range I was familiar with from the local 3D circuit were trying to recruit me to shoot for the clubs "Lost Arrow League" every week on Wednesdays, apparently they needed someone to help bring averages up a bit.This was before I even got to fill out an app........

I think I have my motivation back.I have the discipline, and now I have the facility to do the work. The new club has a solid 50 acres of wooded property and the field archery range to practice yardage, side hills, shadows, and hard angles........and I've gotta say I'm excited to shoot again. I'll be shooting Lost Arrow league tomorrow night and our local 3D event on Sunday, and I'm headed downstairs right now to do some aiming drills and blank bale.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Think I finally have the desire to shoot again......

Good to hear Matt. I'd love to have the opportunity to shoot with you. You need to try to make it to an ASA at some point, or head down this way at some point.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot my bow in over a month.. I'm waiting for the sights I ordered...[&o] I did do some blank baling with the BT the other day. I just finished fletching a dozen X-Ringer arrows with some Razr. Feathers and I can't wait to step back to try the babies out.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good to hear, Matt. Sounds like you found quite a nice place to shoot. I have very little motivation to shoot lately. With my press breaking, working on drawing drills becoming montonous, and with summer activities picking up, I'm out of it for some reason. I'm sure it will pick up like it did for you.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Only Matt's posted in this thread. LMAO
Old 06-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whitetailbowhunter

Only Matt's posted in this thread. LMAO
Now that's weird
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. Shot in our "Lost Arrow" league last night, it's not as fun as 3D but a great social event locally with a good 60-70 guys that show up every week. It's a 14 target round that shoots at the NFAA paper animal targets. One arrow at each that is worth 20 points for a kill, 16 for wound, 0 for a miss, and a 21 if you can hit the 2" orange dot (there are 7 dots on the 14 target course). You shoot from 11 yards out to 60 yards. I shot pretty good especially considering I hadn't shot much for so long. Ended up with high score for the night cleaning the course and only missing 1 of the dots, and most importantly I had a really good time and I'm looking forward to getting on the 3D course.

I'll be back at it in the basement tonight working to clean up a bit of my draw sequence and settling into anchor with some aiming drills and blank bale. I will probably be at the new club Friday night then to shoot out to some distance, and then will be attending a local 3D event at my old club on Sunday. I'm really looking forward to that one, I won each of their events for the last 3 years back to back in HC and this year will be my first time shooting in their open class. It will be good to hang out, harass, and shoot withsome of the regulars from the old club that I haven't seen since the winter indoor leagues. [8D]

For those of you that are getting burned out, find a way to make it fun. Don't make work out of it I guess is my advice. Find a buddy too........that helps a lot to bring the fun out of it.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

but a great social event locally with a good 60-70 guys that show up every week.
Wow....I wish we had attendance like that for a shooting event around here. Maybe we do and I just don't know it....that's awesome Matt.

Ended up with high score for the night cleaning the course and only missing 1 of the dots, and most importantly I had a really good time and I'm looking forward to getting on the 3D course.
Sweet bud!!!