HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Swap-A-Hunt (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/swap-hunt-74/)
-   -   Colorado Mulies/Elk - Reposted (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/swap-hunt/337893-colorado-mulies-elk-reposted.html)

Rob in VT 01-08-2011 09:09 AM

Colorado Mulies/Elk - Reposted

With the loss of all the threads, I thought I would repost:

Hey everyone, thought I would test the waters with my first Swap Hunt post.

About me: I am 44 years old, married, 2 teenage kids, and an IT professional working for an insurance company in central Vermont. I have been an avid hunter all of my life. I hunt with the bow, shotgun, rifle, and muzzleloader. My passion is big game hunting, specifically anything with antlers.

What I can offer: I own a very comfortable cabin in southern Colorado (Unit 083). 3 miles from the cabin I own land on a 17,000 acre private ranch. Approximately half of the ranch is opened to hunting. Elk hunting on the ranch can be hit or miss depending on weather and pressure. In 5 years 3 of us have killed 4 bulls and 4 cows. The largest bull was my 271” 6x5. Bull tags are over the counter, antlerless are lottery. Mule deer hunting is world class. It takes about 4 preference points to draw a tag. In 2010 my daughter took a 191” 6x7. Many 140” to 160” bucks there, a fair chance at a 160” to 170”, and there are 180” + bucks on the ranch as my daughter has proven. Depending on the season you could have both a deer and elk tag. This is a DIY hunt. I am NOT an outfitter or guide, nor do I play one on TV!

What I am looking for: I would like to build a friendship with someone who can provide a quality hunting area with a good chance at good animals. Fair chase is a must and private land is preferred. I am fine with hanging my own stands if you can provide suggestions on where to set up. A place to stay would be nice, but not necessary. I would really like to find a place with a fair chance at a 150” whitetail (rut hunt preferred) or free ranging Aoudad sheep. May consider other antlered animals? I would like to be able to do this every couple of years if it works out for all involved. Would like this for 2 if possible.

Not looking for: Unethical slobs who call themselves hunters, those who violate game laws, poachers, high fence hunting (not for me) and just plain mean grumpy people. I am also not interested in waterfowl, fishing, or bird hunting (although I do like to turkey hunt). Outfitters need not apply as there can be a conflict of interest.

Due to planning, this would not be for a 2011 hunt.

PM me if you have questions/suggestions. Good luck in 2011 . . . Rob

Typical size bull seen/taken

My 2007 271" 6x5

My daughters 2010 191" 6x7, 175lbs dressed

My 2010 120" 5x3 (really small buck for the area), 185lbs dressed

2009 Cow Elk

Yes, I like to take pictures also!

Rob in VT 01-08-2011 09:13 AM

Wow, thanks for all of the replies. :party0005:

I thought I would post a few pictures of the cabin and some more animals. This is the real deal! I am very interested in the mid west and trophy whitetails. If you have several hundred acres or more in places like Illinois, Iowa or Ohio give me a shout.

This is the cabin.

Livingroom

Kitchen

Dinningroom

Guest room #1

Guest room #2

Washer and Dryer plus 2 showers/bathrooms

Yeah, this is a giant!

Rob in VT 01-21-2011 08:46 AM

Terrain

The response has been tremendous. Thank you all who have replied :happy0001:

There has been a few questions about terrain and elevation. This country does have altitude. The cabin is at 9,100' and the ranch ranges from 8,200' to 10,500'. Most things are either up or down. Not much flat ground here!

This was taken off the porch at the cabin.

liv4upoutdoors 02-03-2011 12:41 PM

lakefront cabin

Can trade lodging in the central u.p. of Michigan on a lake for hunting. http://www.powellshoreslodge.com Thx. Todd

Rob in VT 02-03-2011 06:06 PM

Not really what I am looking for: :rolleye0011:

"What I am looking for: I would like to build a friendship with someone who can provide a quality hunting area with a good chance at good animals. Fair chase is a must and private land is preferred. I am fine with hanging my own stands if you can provide suggestions on where to set up. A place to stay would be nice, but not necessary. I would really like to find a place with a fair chance at a 150” whitetail (rut hunt preferred) or free ranging Aoudad sheep. May consider other antlered animals? I would like to be able to do this every couple of years if it works out for all involved."

Rob in VT 02-06-2011 09:35 AM

Thank You!

Thanks to all who have sent me offers. At this point, I have more great offers than I have time to hunt. A good problem to have I guess :wink:. My plan is to set up a swap hunt with a couple of you who have great places, and maybe stay in touch with the others for future hunts.

I thought I would leave you with a few parting pictures of the ranch and critters that call it home.

This was also taken off the front porch at the cabin.

w123t 02-20-2011 03:53 AM

Rob,

Looks like you've got a very special place to hunt
in Colorado. I'm looking for a good place to Turkey hunt
in Vermont. Wondering if you or one of your Vermont
friends might be interested in swapping for a Maine
hunt. If interested contact me at:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Ed

Rob in VT 03-29-2011 06:46 PM

A summer visitor to the cabin :s1: