Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

How Many Hours

Old 04-19-2005, 08:07 PM

Default How Many Hours

I am new to bird dog training. Right now my english pointer is about 5 mo. and is here, and heel broke. He is also not shy of the .22 pistol, is sight pointing birds in the yard(doves we have alot in my yard)and fetches frozen quail to hand. I was just curious about if I can put in about an 1 a day if he will probably be ready by the end of october for Quail Season. I know there are lots of factors, but what is your opinions. Thanks
Old 04-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Many Hours

get the book.. "The 10 Minute Retriever" by John & Amy Dahl. The book is how to make an Obedient and enthusiatic gun dog in 10 minute's a day
Old 04-19-2005, 08:52 PM

Sounds like things are going well for you and living in Texas, birds shouldn't be a problem. Just remember, less is more and birds make the dog.

I'd continue the course, but forget about hour-workouts. Several 10-15 minute workouts a day are better than longer ones. Pups get bored easily and you could undo what's been accomplished. Keep things short and come October, things should be fine. Once in the field, you can work on things you wish to improve upon.

Best of luck.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:33 PM

Not too many birds, especially penned birds, your pup will start getting bored and will flag, etc. Best bet for now is to just let him run and if he bumps some birds, great.
Old 04-20-2005, 06:47 AM

Slate .. if you can devote an hour a day to being with and working your dog who is 5 months old now, you could expect that he would be ready for the field this fall. That being said, he's not going to be a field champion hunter in his first season .. and you'll find this season will be as much training and learning as hunting, but he should be ready. Plus, as many have pointed out, that hour should not be 1 hour straight of pure drill work. That should be lots of pl;aying and exercise as well, with periods of work mixed in.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

One hour of running and 15 min drills should be enough for the dog. Perhaps 30 mins once a week drill for something new. Spend too long training and you are going to get frustrated.

Running the dog to keep him in shape is very important. I've hunted with many owners who didn't and after couple hours of hunting were completely tired out. Start introducing him to the shotgun also and live birds if possible.

By fall your dog should be fine. It's going to be a learning experience for both you and your dog.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:25 AM

"The 10 Minute Retriever" by John & Amy Dahl. The book is how to make an Obedient and enthusiastic gun dog in 10 minute's a day
I have never read this book. However it sounds to me like a book geared toward (I am just going out on a limb here) Retriever training. Of course I am sure it is a good book but you may be better served by other books geared toward pointing dogs such as Gun Dog by Richard Wolters or any number of other pointing or versatile hunting dog books. I understand the Idea of short training sessions. Wayne1 perhaps you were just using the title to illustrate the Idea of short training sessions and not recommending the book to Slatecall, in which case the idea is the same.