Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

yellow lab

Old 03-17-2005, 10:33 AM

Default yellow lab

I recently adopted a lost/abandoned yellow lab female approx. 7 months old. She is very well behaved as far as labs go. I have trained several rots in the past as far as companion dogs go. I am very interested in training her for pheasant and grouse as well as duck. I read a post that suggested no collar training for pups as it may ruin them. I am curious about that philosophy. I guess at 7 months i feel the need to collar and lead her as she does not respond to come or stay as well as i would like and she scents just about everything. Deer, turkey,rabbit,squirrel are very prevalent in the back yard and she cant resist the impulse to check them out. Am i wrong to collar her? any advice on getting her going on birds? should i concentrate on basic obedience first? thank you.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Default RE: yellow lab

You misunderstand the term collar training. I think what was stated would mean e-collar. One needs to work on here, sit, stay (I combine the sit/stay because I am lazy, just have them sit until released), a proper release command, ect, These all take control so a collar and check cord is necessary. Also, when I hear no e-collars for pups, this would mean young pups. If you are planning on using an e-collar have a pro or extremely experienced amatuer teach you how. There are excellent books and tapes on the subject of training retrievers. Your public library would be a great source.

Dr Fatguy
Old 03-18-2005, 10:44 AM

Appreciate the input. That makes a lot more sense to me. I never was a big fan of e-collar but do see the advantages with the extermely energetic breeds. I will check out the library and also look for some local trainers....what are some thoughts on crate training labs? she absolutely cant stand being left when i go to work ,she seems to have separation issues. She cant be left alone with free run of the house but she also cant stand being left in the crate.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:58 AM

My wife hates dogs (this strange because I am a major-league dog guy) so our dogs live out side. I haven't had to crate train. What is her behavior in the crate? I wouldn't worry so much about her issues as I would her behavior. My Jagdterrier has the most ear piercing squeal he uses to announce something is in his yard. The sound carries for miles. This is necessary so one can find their dog underground. I had to buy a bark collar. I tried to teach him quiet, which evolved to shutup, but to no avail. I resorted to the bark collar. He is now a somewhat christainized city dweller. Maybe you will have to teach her this way. I would suggest crating her at night to teach her she is subordinate to you.
This is my .02 worth
Dr Fatguy
Old 03-18-2005, 05:08 PM

The problem may be more separation issues. As a test 1 day she was left out of the crate for 3-4 hours on a weekend while we were gone. She did very well. As a result on Monday instead of the crate she got the spare bedroom for the day. ( 8-9 hours) She shredded the carpet in front of the door. Since then she has been in the crate, yesterday she managed to get the bottom rung by the door spread just enough to get a paw through. She shredded the carpet. Fortunately the same room. I just dont have the comfort level to give her the house, I am afraid as soon as we leave it will be open season on furniture, books, carpet. She goes into the crate fairly well, she goes nuts when we leave.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:13 AM

Dogs are pack animals. Their desire to pack will allow them to accept prey animals as members (Sheep, cats you name it). I think more than separtion anxiety she is BORED. I would be if you left me in a room for 8 hours. She desires to pack with some(thing)one. This is the problem. It also sound as if she were poorly socialized as a pup.
My .02 worth

Dr Fatguy
Old 03-19-2005, 12:36 PM

Keep her in the crate for both your sakes!If you do enough reading you will find it is not bad for them.About the time I thought my 1 yr old clf was safe to leave in the house she chewed up a brand new couch.I'm lucky both of us are still allowed in the house.......