Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 >>>PICS<<< CaseyxLily pups at 6 weeks >

>>>PICS<<< CaseyxLily pups at 6 weeks

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

>>>PICS<<< CaseyxLily pups at 6 weeks

Old 03-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default >>>PICS<<< CaseyxLily pups at 6 weeks

We introuduced the pups to a live pigeon this morning. One male was EXTREMELY birdy, one was moderately birdy, two were decently birdy and one was somewhat un-interested. (WAYNE 1 : I REALLY liked male #2) --- but my opinion may change next weekend -- I don't know yet.

Hey Wayne ---- what did ya think of Casey's points? (For the others): Casey went on point at 35 - 40 feet -- I released him to reposition (which he did) and he went on point again -- steady to flush -- steady to shot -- steady to fall
Old 03-12-2005, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: >>>PICS<<< CaseyxLily pups at 6 weeks

That was great today Doc....kinda wish that there were'nt quit so many kid's around though....they seemed to distact the pup's some....or were holding them instead of letting them investigate. Casey put on an "Awesome" show for everyone there...That #2 male, and # 5 female interested me today....We'll see what next week bring's. Think I've got most everything ready to bring em home next saturday..Have the new kennal up, New dog crate's ready, new dog house is in place. new puppy food, new bottle of Glucosamine Supplements ready. Bought some new paint roller's today, collar and leash are at ready. Now....we just need to get that new bundle of love "HOME"..
Old 03-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Male or Female ? (Wayne)

As far as to whether a male or female ---------------- Males are "in heat" 24/7 --- but you also have to recognize that females usually come into heat when you have an inmortant Field test coming up -- or right in the heat of the hunting season.

If you are not planning on breeding a dog, I'd go with a neutered male (Starbuck?) or a spayed female. If you might breed your dog, I'd go with Male #2. Shooter isgoing to be like, he is, and sicnce you aren't going to be training them tegether or hunting them together, it doesent't really matter what the sex of your next dog is.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Male or Female ? (Wayne)

The fella there from tri-cities, kinda like's Starbuck, so I'll probably pass on him.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

And as you could see today, a TRUE PL can tell the difference between Upland hunting and Waterfowl hunting. Casey knows the difference between hunting when he needs to point or when he needs to retirieve.

Casey has only pointed a wounded bird one time --- we were hunting ducks up near "Swede Pass" -- I shot a duck that went down in the middle of a pond -- I sent Casey -- he got to the bird and it kept diving -- finally it disappeared (so I figured that it had gone to the bottom - grabbed onto some weeds and drowned itself) -- I called Casey back in to me............ The duck had gone swimming (60+ yards) under water -- to the other side of the pond -- I saw it go out of the pond and start running back into the "rushes" on the other side of the pond --- I sent Casey on a "blind retrieve" and when he got to the other side, he trailed the bird and went on point ! ! [:@]

I went to the other side of the pond and gave him a 'release' -- he went forward 5' and went on point again -- I 'released' him again and he retrieved a very nice mallard drake -- The only thing I could figure, was that because the duck only had one pellet (broke it's wing) and has been swimming 60+ yards under water, that it had washed off the "blood smell" and Casey thought that it was an uninjured bird.

That's the only time that Casey has ever pointed a wounded bird.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that there is one Male that is unsold -- If I was in the market for a new dog. I'd buy it in a heartbeat........... EVERY ONE of these dogs should be top notch
Old 03-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

That woulda been Kewl to see..