Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 TROUBLE KEEPING DOG AROUND PROPERTY >

TROUBLE KEEPING DOG AROUND PROPERTY

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

TROUBLE KEEPING DOG AROUND PROPERTY

Old 02-20-2005, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default TROUBLE KEEPING DOG AROUND PROPERTY

I'VE GOT A QUESTION THAT I NEED HELP WITH. HOW DO YOU KEEP A DOG FROM WANDERING OFF YOUR PROPERTY OR SAY GETTING IN ROAD AND GETTING HIT. OTHER THAN KEEPING THEM IN A KENNEL. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANOTHER WAY. SHOCK COLLAR, ETC. I HEARD OF A COLLAR THAT YOU PUT ON YOUR DOG AND PUT SOME KIND OF POSTS UP AT THE END OF YOUR PROPERTY. IF THE DOG CROSSES THAT BOUNDARY IT SHOCKS HIM. ANYONE HEARD OF THIS OR HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Old 02-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TROUBLE KEEPING DOG AROUND PROPERTY

Gonna wait for Doc E's reply....cus I'm pretty sure....fact I'll bet the farm on what he'll say....bet it goes something like....kennel only...no underground wire type fence....I might be wrong....but doubt it..!!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you want to kennel your dog? As long as a dog is being worked (exercised) properly, they don't need a big kennel run -- 6' or 8' X 10' or 12' is plenty big enough.

A dog must be either :
1. Supervised or
2. In a fenced area (and Wayne1 is correct, an Underground fence IS NOT really a fence).

Also, Cutter -------- Take a look at the left side of your keyboard --------- see the key that is named "Caps Lock" ??? ----------- well, give it a tap. (Typing in all Caps is called "SHOUTING" and is very uncool.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:01 AM

I agree kennel them up and give them plenty of supervisory excercise and training. A working animal is a happy animal. People always tell me that thier dogs are wandering off and the vets tell them to get them neutered or spayed especially the males. Since I have been training these dogs an average of 3 to 6 days a week my dogs don't run or wander. the reason why the run chew on and destroy stuff is they are bored. give them something to do (a job) and you should see a change in attitude.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

Kennel the dog and you have just saved his or her life. Sure as heck something real bad will happen if you don't. Forget the underground fence system also as sometimes they work and sometimes not . I have way too much money in my dogs to take the chance.
Good luck
Old 02-22-2005, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. Sorry about the caps Doc. Wasn't paying much attention. I really don't mind keeping him in the kennel. I have a 10' x12'. My dog is a great dog. He works hard and does everything that I expect out of him.I work him daily. He has alot of energy. But when I put him up it's like he wants to sull up. Its like he forgets what we just did. Which I guess is understandable. I was just curious of other ways. Anyone ever kept their dog inside or will that ruin him altogether? (Dont think the wife would go for it though)
Old 02-23-2005, 03:33 AM
Fork Horn

Closer bonding you have with your dog the better and there is not a thing wrong with him being inside with you = except the wife and I know where you are coming from there lol
Old 02-23-2005, 07:15 PM

If the dog is worth keeping kennel it or chain it. I use both. The kids yard dog runs loose as well as the wife's lap dog. We live in an area where they can. But my coon hounds are NEVER loose except when hunting. If the dog doesn't get enough exercise then you aren't hunting it enough. Give it to someone who will hunt it. Mine are cut loose at least three times a week year round.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:08 PM

I keep mine kenneled during the day to prevent people form stealing them. If the pound doesn't pick them up out of your yard, there are
people that want my male for breeding. I have 2 labs and one has
been stolen out of my yard once already, so we supervise there time
out and kennel them while we are at work. I have not had a problem
with them becoming bored as long as they have a few chews to play
with and are let out and worked on a regular schedule.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Dominant Buck

The unerground fence might work for some but mine didn't. My male decided to leave and went right through the border and the shock just made him go faster. Long and short of it is don't let them loose without supervision. They will live longer and so will you with all the exercise you will get

Quick Reply: TROUBLE KEEPING DOG AROUND PROPERTY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.