Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Cheesie

Old 02-14-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Cheesie

What's goin on guys? Last year was my first real Waterfowl hunting I've done. I hunt the Kansas River, just east of Manhattan KS. (WHERE KSU IS) I hunt the river and a lot of corn fields that surround the area. A lot of geese around here and quite a few ducks. I did pretty well but i did all without a dog. Hunting the river i have to pass on quite a few ducks that i know i couldn't get to. I got neoprene waders that help me out but some ducks would fall in the current too far out and would be a waste of a duck which i can't see doing.

My question is this. I want a dog that will be a good waterfowl dog but as well as upland bird dog.

I really want a chessie b/c my dad had one when i was little and it was an incredible dog, but was never upland hunted.
These dogs are instinctive when it comes to the waterfowling, but i would like to hear some experiences from you guys that have hunted behind on in upland hunting.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Default RE: Cheesie

Ryan,

You'll have no problem hunting upland birds if you choose a Chessie. Although I do hunt waterfowl on occasion, most of my hunting is for upland game and my dogs do quite well. Actually, my dogs have hunted 19 different species of game birds, so that pretty much squashes most peoples opinion of the breed (Read my signature).

I will say that Chessies are not for everyone, but I can't say enough about the breed. They're great house dogs, very protective (not mean, as it may appear) and aim to please. Check out the spring issue of Upland Almanac as I just did an article on CBR's.

Gary
Old 02-14-2005, 07:39 PM

Ryan,

You can rest assured Chessie's have no trouble in the upland fields finding birds. You'll get weird looks from pointy dog owners but don't worry about it and get your pup in wild birds as much as possible. Should do a superior job in the pheasant field. This girl here has a ball in the field or the water. Envious of your location. Good Luck with your pup.
Wyatt

Hey Gary, When can I expect that Spring edition? You grousin this weekend?

Old 02-14-2005, 08:25 PM

Thanks a lot guys for the info. You both seem to really have a lot of experience with them and like them very much. I have read that they are not for everybody but with a lot of time spent with them, which i plan to do when i hopefully get one they can be great all around dogs.
I can understand the guys that like pointing dogs, but when it is 10 below zero up here in January and ice is floating down the river I don't think i would rather have any other dog or put any dog in that kind of situation that is dangerous but a strong swimmer that can deal with the cold and that would be the CBR.
You guys know of any good breeders around this area or in the Midwest.
I really appreciate the information thanks a lot

Oh yeah almost forgot Roost Em, that is a great lookings dog. I am envious of her. My dad's cbr he had was a lot darker then yours. THat dog would do things I have never seen any dog do since. You could throw a rock into the river and that dog would swim out to where you threw that rock and it would come up with a mouth full of mud. We also jumped a lot of ponds (i was still to young to hunt, but still went along) and would get on our stomachs and climb the dikes. That dog would also get on it's belly and crawl up with us, it would hold and see the down ducks and then go get each one. This is with not a lot of actual training just a lot of time spent with the dog at area ponds and water sources.
Thanks again
Old 02-14-2005, 09:45 PM

Ryan,

There is a breeder in SE Nebraska. Check the clasifieds here. I'm looking myself. I believe Gary's dogs are the darker color you speak of.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:52 PM

If you never trained a dog before I would go with a Lab or a golden Retriever (swamp collie) there is nothing wrong with a chessie they are a very good dog. Me myself prefer a lab tend to mature quicker and easier to train than a CBR I also like the short hair on the lab and CBR compared to the Golden. All 3 make wonderful dogs. I would read several books and articles on each breed to find out the pros and cons of each breed to best fit your life style. You might also look at the pointing Lab I own 2 and absolutly love them makes shooting pheasants and quail somewhat easier.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:15 PM

SE NEbraska would not be far away really at all from me. If you can get a website for them that would be great if not i will do some searching. I have heard that CBR are maybe a little tougher to train but I pretty much have my mind set and am willing to do whatever it takes to make this a great hunter, retriever, and house pet. Also with as much waterfowl hunting as i do in the cold weather, how could i go wrong?
Old 02-15-2005, 04:20 AM

Ryan,

I don't consider myself an expert on the breed, but do believe my article could help you out in your quest. Nothing else, it will motivate your already gungho personality. I will say that having your mind set will go a long way.

And yes, my dogs are the darker variety. Cinnamon is, well, cinnamon colored and Sage is a couple shades lighter.

Wyatt,

I was told the issue mailed February 1, so I'm not sure when to expect it. Actually I figured subscribers would have recieved it by now. Best guess would be any day now.

Yes, grousing is a possibilty. Why, are you interested or are you done for the season?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: h2oknine

If you never trained a dog before I would go with a Lab or a golden Retriever ..... easier to train than a CBR
I would agree with that, if you get a CBR you'll more than likely going to have to train it yourself, that would be an easier task with a lab or golden, and if you needed help from a pro getting a lab or golden avoids CBR issues. I know you have fond memories of a CBR in the past, but don't let that keep you from doing your homework on the breeds.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:52 AM

Ryan,

I don't have a website but will help if you can't find them. Start a thread and someone should chime in.

You are getting some advice here in regards to the difficulty in training a Chessie. Rightly so, they can be difficult, but well worth the extra patience and time. Many pros will not train a chessie because they are so strong willed at times. The only tip I can offer is to gain the dogs respect. After that he/she will want your respect and do what is appropriate to gain it. They are usually one person dog's and not apt to listen to your buddies, not a bad characteristic IMO but something to consider. Their heritage comes from a long ago profession that was solitary by nature, Market Gunners. This is also why they can be construed as fiercley protective of their owners belongings, be it your gun, boat, cat, family, etc. They were initially bred to retrieve waterfowl and then protect the wares at market while the gunner went portside to fetch the highest price. Their loyalty is unsurpassed IMO and they make a wonderful dog for the owner who takes the time to show them what he wants. When I first started Upland hunting with mine I kept her at heel with GSP in the field. It took all of 2 hours before she saw what they were doing and then she pointed/flash pointed/ stood game on her first cock bird. Sadly I put lead all around that bird with both barrels and he flew off to the next county. Anything of value in life comes through hard work. Handling a Chessie is no different. Pick up a copy of the Complete Chesapeake Bay Retiever befor you ever buy your pup. There are two editions but I think the only one still in print is by Dr. Janet Horn.

Gary,
Hopefully I will receive the Spring edition in a short time. I can't go hunting as I am waiting for my wife to have our second son. But Susie and I will expect a full report from you and Cinnamon and Sage. Try not to let us down. Sounds like Adam flew quite a few last weekend. Are you going to the trials in SW Ohio?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.