Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Is it too late to train my dog? >

Is it too late to train my dog?

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Is it too late to train my dog?

Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is it too late to train my dog?

Is it too late to train my whippet to be a hunting dog? She is about 3 years old.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is it too late to train my dog?

I don't believe that it is ever too late. It will certainly be harder. You will have to have plenty of patience and you will have to plan a program with the utmost in consistancy, but if you can be patient with your dog, be consistant in your training methods, and take things slowly and one day at a time, then it is not too late. WHAT DO YOU TRAIN A WHIPPET TO HUNT???????????
Old 02-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know
Old 02-21-2005, 02:15 PM

It's not too late to train a whippet to hunt at three. Where do you live? A whippet is a coursing hound (re: sighthound). You hunt rabbits, jacks and foxes with a whippet. Is your whippet race trained? If so this could help. A whippet would flush all the pheasants one would want. The nose on a whippet isn't the best but they can learn to use it. I have had one whippet and three whippet/greyhound crosses when i lived in the west. The small size of a whippet would make it easy to become un-sighted during a chase. I live in the UP of Mi now and I don't see how anyone could use a sighthound here, way too much brush. One doesn't really train a sighthound, except in obiedience, they either have it or they don't.
Dr Fatguy
Old 02-21-2005, 06:19 PM

i know a dog trainer and i asked him the same question,he's reply was, a dog is like a human, he's never to old to learn,it just may take a little longer,and in 6 six weeks he taught my 3 year old lab, basic obedience,sit, stay,heal,come,lay,load.good luck with yours.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:36 AM

thanks for the advice i was ganna start a post like this untill i saw this one
Old 02-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

She is not race trained. We have a Greyhound who is a retired racer.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:30 AM

What do you have to chase in your neck of the woods? I chased jacks and foxes until I moved east into non-sighthound country. Teach the retired racer to come when called, every time, and then take them, the two dogs, out and let them nose around. If the instinct is their, which it will be for the racer, they will chase what they see. Remember, these dogs hunt by sight so they have to be able to see at their level. You need open country without fences. I loved it. I did teach a whippet to fluch pheasants after I had hunted him for rabbits. Shot enough to keep things interesting. He also retrieved very well. The rabbits and jacks got him hunting the birds were just icing.
Dr Fatguy