HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   Basset Hounds (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/89404-basset-hounds.html)

h2oknine 02-05-2005 11:04 PM

Basset Hounds

Does anyone still hunt with Basset Hounds?

moose1915 02-06-2005 08:12 AM

RE: Basset Hounds

my dad has had bassets since i was a baby. best damn rabbit dogs there is! we just had to say goodbye to Louis, a SERIOUS rabbit huntin basset if there ever was, after 16 years of kick ass service. he was a good dog, pick up a rabbit, run it nice and easy, and circle it back to you nearly everytime. god i shot alot of rabbits over that dog! we're breaking in Sal (about 9 months old) right now. he's a bit more thick headed but will turn out ok with some work. none of our dogs EVER ran a deer, which is important around here.

Basset pros- real smart
-good paced trackers
-intensely loyal
- great noses

cons -too smart!
-stinky
- chew chew chew
-intensly stubborn
-tough to housebreak.

all in all, though, weve had some great luck over the years with ours. very personable dogs and great hunters.

-moose

Jumpshootin 02-07-2005 04:14 PM

Check out this site: http://www.bassetnet.com/
My dad & grandfather raised and bred hunting bassetts from the mid-40's thru to the early 70's. They had some great rabbit dogs. Although a high percentage of them were useless and sold as pets.

h2oknine 02-07-2005 06:39 PM

Thanks for all of your info we were mainly getting some ideas for my youngest son, so thanks again for all of the info.

shpines 02-08-2005 11:25 PM

We have a bassett in the house that our 4 yr old put in the starting pen with one of our beagle pups. She knew just what to do, like she had been doing it for years! We have some friends that have beagle/bassetts that run rabbit all day long.

jabennett 12-10-2012 06:16 PM

if its going to be a house dog i would go with a beagle. you will have better odds of turning it into a rabbit dog. i owned a basset one of the best dogs i had ever owned except for two things. it took over a year to house break and loved hunting for treats way more than hunting for rabbits. for hunting you cant beat a beagle. A lot of people have a lot of success with bassets. i will say this you will have a lot more compliments on a good running basset than a good running beagle. you just dont see that many of them that are hunting.

HogNDog 04-05-2013 01:28 PM

Beagles are most commonly used for rabbit hunting and they're probably some of the best rabbit hunting breeds of dogs. There's a few people who still hunt with Bassets, but most use Beagles for rabbit hunting.

Striker007 05-01-2013 11:10 PM

This type of hounds are good for hunting but not so efficient. But they fit to this proverb "Something is better than nothing". There is a little bit hurdle to Train them. But once you done it, then you can really enjoy it. One thing is to Care them in efficient manner like in a good quality of Tent/Shelter so that it keeps away the hazards away.

outdoor shelter | FEATURES OF MARQUEES

Tundra10 05-05-2013 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Striker007 (Post 4054773)
This type of hounds are good for hunting but not so efficient. But they fit to this proverb "Something is better than nothing". There is a little bit hurdle to Train them. But once you done it, then you can really enjoy it. One thing is to Care them in efficient manner like in a good quality of Tent/Shelter so that it keeps away the hazards away.

How many Bassets you own or have hunted over?

as I thought........

Tundra10 05-14-2013 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra10 (Post 4055444)
How many Bassets you own or have hunted over?

as I thought........

exactly :lolabove: