Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Looking for a good all around dog >

Looking for a good all around dog

Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Looking for a good all around dog

Old 01-13-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Looking for a good all around dog

I am trying to find a good all around hunting/family dog. I enjoy hunting phesant and ducks. I know that the lab is a great dog but does not really seem to peak my interset. I have received some good information on GSPs and they seem to be a pretty good breed. I also have heard some good things about weimeraners that are breed with labs or other similar breeds, however finding any information let alone the actual dogs are proving to be a challange. If anybody have any advice or thoughts that would be great.
thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:12 AM

Default RE: Looking for a good all around dog

One birddog breed that I have been around some and really like are brittanies. We hunt quail around here, but some of the guys I know use take their brittanies up a little further north to hunt pheasants. Then my other friend has a brittany who, though used mostly to hunt quail, will retrieve a dummy from a pond. He is thinking of using him on ducks and I have heard they'll do it. This dog will swim out for a dummy so he just might swim out for a real bird! This same dog also retrieves doves. I know of 5 friends who have 8 brittanies between all of them and they all seem to be good natured family dogs. I have personally hunted over three different britannies, two of which were not a year old this fall and are hunting now. I am thinking of getting me one some day, too, if I ever decide to slow down with the tree dogs that I like so much (I doubt I'll be able to slow down with treedogs...I'll probably just end up getting a brittany anyway and hunting all the more!!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:59 AM

Attend a field trial or hunt club event in your specific area and watch how different dogs work. The types of dogs people are using in your area will be there, and if you see a dog working in the style and manner that "peaks" your interest contact that person and ask how you can get a pup or trained dog from the line.

Regardless... advice on a message board about dog types isn't the best way to go. See them working in person is necessary to compare bird dogs.

That being said, check out Springers! I also have had good GSP's for both waterfowl and upland, just not in really cold weather for ducks.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:56 AM

I WOULD GET A BEAGLE THEY ARE GOOD FOR A LOT OF DIFF. HUNTING MY SECOND CHOSE WOULD BE A JACK RUSSEL TERRIOR.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:28 PM

What kind of family? Kids age? What kind of duck hunting? Open water, River, Ponds?

Good advice to see them work. All around you'll be finding a dog that excells in one area and suffices in another.
Have seen close to a hundred GSP in the last 5 years at my buddies Kennel. Most were raised at the kennel, some came here from other horse trades. Maybe 3 pups who I'd consider real water dogs. All of them were great upland hunters. Most everyone of them would retrieve bumpers from the water.
I have raised Chessies in the past. They all perform excellent on the water. I have a female who I'd take to the upland fields for pheasant any day. She does go with the GSP who are older and more seasoned[never with the pups who are still learning] She finds as many pheasant as I need and I never lose a cripple.
Some other breeds to read about and go see:

Field bred Goldens
GWP
ESS
AWS
PP

Let us know what you decide.
Roost
Old 01-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

No offense. but I grew up with well trained beagles and I wouldn't even consider them as a good pheasant or waterfowl hunter. They are great with the family however. The fact is that they will hunt upland birds for you until they smell there favorite...RABBITS. They then almost become uncontrollable.

I have labs and love GSP however, Golden's will fit nicely into your family, john boat or upland field.

-Matthewsconquest2
Old 01-14-2005, 01:45 PM

If you have any misgivings about a lab then by all means don't get one-the GSP's, the GWP's are great dogs. If you are hunting upland game primarily you probably wouldn't go wrong with any of them that you mentioned. A great place to go and see is at a field event. There you can see each type in action AND talk to the owner's and trainers. A great way to find what you are interested in and to meet people that can help you with training as you progress.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:33 PM

IF YOU ARE DUCK HUNTING IN THE NORTHERN PART OF THE COUNTRY WHERE THE WATER IS COLD DURING DUCK HUNTING YOU MAY WANT TO CONCIDER THE GWP INSTEAD OF THE GSP. I HAVE A GSP AND FOR HUNTING UPLAND GAME IT REALLY ISN'T A CONSIDERATION BECAUSE THE DOG IS RUNNING AND STAYING WARM BUT WHEN DUCK HUNTING AND THE DOG IS IN AND OUT OF COLD WATER AND THEN SITTING IN A BLIND NOT MOVING THE ADDED WARMTH PROVIDED BY A LONG COAT WILL HELP THE DOG STAND UP TO THE COLD.

DON'T GET ME WRONG THE GSP IF TRAINED CORRECTLY WILL HIT THE WATER WITH AS MUCH DRIVE AS ANY DOG BUT I HAD A BUDDY THAT REGULARLY USED HIS GSP FOR DUCK HUNTING AND THE POOR DOG WAS ABOUT WARN OUT BY AGE 6 AND ONLY LIVED TO AGE 9.

IN A WARMER AREA THIS MAY NOT BE A CONSIDERATION
Old 01-15-2005, 03:25 PM

I would advise against a Weimaraner or GSP if you are going to expect them to retrieve from cold water. I have had Weimars even break ice to retrieve ducks and to watch a young dog develop arthritis etc. from doing that kind of work just nis not worth it. I have also seen one GSP die of hypothermia after making a retrieve out of ice water. I also agree if you don't like Labs don't get one of them either. You are the one who has to train and live with your choice so don't let anyone else pick your dog for you.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:21 AM
Spike

ryanparker,

Email sent your way!

X-LINY
Pheasant Hollow Farm

Quick Reply: Looking for a good all around dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.