Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Sporting Dogs
 Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner! >

Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!

Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!

Old 12-23-2004, 03:45 PM

Default Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!

Thanks in advance for any ideas that you guys may offer.

I'm in my early 50's, in good physical condition, and plan to do some serious wing shooting here in S. America where I now live. I've been on a couple of dove hunts and the action varied from slow to heart pounding. The cover I've hunted also varied from very open to some pretty thick and nasty stuff which can make finding birds without a dog very difficult.

While I will most likely concentrate on upland birds such as a number of species of doves and pigeons that are available, I will most assuredly encounter quail and ducks from time to time.

To date, I've vacillated between a German Short-haired Pointer and a Labrador Retriever. I think the GSHP would be more versatile though I suspect the Lab may require less overall exercise as an adult. I should add that many years ago I owned and trained an American Water Spaniel. He was a hard hunter, very energetic, but was also hard-headed at times.

I plan to train my new dog myself.

Any input from those of you with experience with these breeds, or any others you may suggest for that matter, is greatly appreciated.

El Gringo
Old 12-23-2004, 05:15 PM

Default RE: Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!

Can't go wrong with either-but I would go Lab based on the outlying years if you are 50.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:43 PM

Thanks DS. The thought that I'm not getting any younger has been in the back of my mind as I comtemplate the breed I'd like to purchase, train, hunt with, and spend the next 10 years or so caring for.

Do you have any thoughts as to whether a male or female would be better? If so, why?

El Gringo
Old 12-23-2004, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

I would advise you to stay away from a lab in this case. Both dogs will work no matter what age you are. But labs, and retrievers in general, have a tendency to hard mouth smaller birds such as your doves and quail. Depending on where you live in S. America, if you hunt many days where the temp breaks 70-75 degrees fahrenheit, the lab won't work as well as a shorter haired breed. Just my 2 cents.

And go female. Even though you have to put up the heat cycle, the fact they aren't as aggressive and more trainable than males will be worth it.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

What are the temperatures like during the majority of your hunting seasons?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: duck killer

But labs, and retrievers in general, have a tendency to hard mouth smaller birds such as your doves and quail.
???????????? They DO NOT hardmouth small birds --- IF they are properly trained.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the responses fellows! You're giving me many things upon which to ruminate.

Even my little American Water Spaniel tended to be hard-mouthed so I know what that's all about. I don't recall if I ever broke him of it and therefore would appreciate any tips on the subject.

As for average temperatures, it's cool here tonight in Eastern Venezuela.....which means it's gotten down into the low 70's!!!! Basically, hunting temperatures will run anywhere from the mid 70's to the mid to upper 80's. Having said that, I will often be hunting in the vicinity of water as that's what draws a lot of birds to a given area.

Are there any breeds that would outperform others in these kinds of temperatures?

El Gringo
Old 12-23-2004, 11:40 PM
Fork Horn

Doc,
I personally own a chessie. She is good with everything EXCEPT doves and quail. I have heard nothing but the same from most lab owners because of the warm temps,small size, and loose feathers. Granted when it cools down my dog isn't bad on quail. But I've heard several professional trainers say to not hunt retrievers AT ALL on doves. Hard mouth can be a tough problem to fix especially with an inexperienced trainer. It's a slow process that requires persistance and consistancy at all times with a thorough Force Fetch and Formal Hold program. If its genetic hard mouth, well, good luck. Most upland breeds like the GSP rarely inherit or have hard mouth at all, so for your quail and doves, go for it.

And by saying cool is in the 70's, the lab is out.

I have little against labs, but in this fellows case, the lab is not fit.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:55 AM

This is really interesting. I'm learning a lot and thanks again everyone for the input.

I'm absolutely still open-minded on which way to go on this subject. I guess my concern, rightly or wrongly, with the GSP is that I have a belief that the dog may need more exercise than I'll be able to give even though I plan to hunt many days at a stretch and during much of the year.

While I love the looks of the breed and the proven versatility, I'm having a hard time imagining a GSP being content to sit for long periods waiting on doves (my primary target) to arrive. I could be all wrong in this instance, and that's why I appreciate the ideas that you guys are providing.

El Gringo
Old 12-24-2004, 08:02 AM
Fork Horn

The GSP will have more energy, but I doubt you would have any problem getting it to sit still. They are used for duck hunting also, which requires just as much, if not more patience, than dove hunting. I thought I would never get my chessie to sit still, but as the dog matures and you show that dog it HAS to sit still you shouldn't have any problems.

Quick Reply: Help requested selecting a breed for my new hunting partner!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.