HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Sporting Dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs-9/)
-   -   House dog problems? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/sporting-dogs/83460-house-dog-problems.html)

Bird Hunt Dog 12-21-2004 08:50 AM

House dog problems?

I have two house dogs ones a Yorke and the other is a Pekapoo. We got the Yorke when she was 6 months old. She was a kennel dog. She was used to doing her business wherever she wanted. We had a heck of a time potty training her. We are still having problems with her and she is 4 years old now. She will get out of bed in the middle of the night and crap on the floor. She Knows she's not supposed to so sometimes she eats it.[:'(] Besides locking her up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The other dog is very well behaved and I fell bad separating them, plus I hate to lock them up together since he's so good.

SouthernSweety16 12-21-2004 04:45 PM

RE: House dog problems?

Wow. My dad is real good with the potty training thing. He would yell at my dog and put his nose right up to it. After a month he was fine. Never did it in the house again. Give her a treat when she does it outside then make her remember what bad happens when she does it inside. I think that might work. LoL, but I really don't know.

jcb9901 12-21-2004 07:49 PM

I've had the best luck using indoor kennel.keep them in at night or when can't keep an eye on them .When you let them out of kennel take them out side first thing.I would hesitate at the door before going out to get the dog antsy and he would bark ,then let him out.It only took acouple of weeks and my dog was going to door and barking to go out.

jashoffa 12-22-2004 02:57 AM

I also use the the upove method. I got a 2 yr old our door kenneled German Shorthaired pointer and trained her this way. granted it took a little while but now that dog wouldn't soild the house for any reason!

Bird Hunt Dog 12-22-2004 08:19 AM

We tried the kennel thing. She would just go in the kennel. Then she would have it all over herself[:'(][:@]

DUCKSTAMPEDE 12-22-2004 10:07 AM

Had a wire haired fox terrier that was just like that-I tried the kennel, I tried the push the nose into it, and just about all the other tricks I could thing of-had a friend who was had a natural knack with every dog he ever came into contact with so I asked him-he told me the kennel I was using for the dog was too big-he said get one that is only big enough for the dog to sleep in and no bigger. It was a pain as the dog always knew what was coming when I would pick her up and head for the little kennel. It absolutely worked though because instead of being able to get up and do her business she had to lay there-and then she would whine. I would immediately get up and take her out and then do the praise thing when she did the deal outside. After about three days, I moved her to the bigger kennel and instead of doing her thing she whined when she had to go. After a month, the bedroom became the kennel and she would just whine and go to the door. He also suggested changing her feeding time from evening to morning. It took a month but it finally worked.