Community
Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Dog Question

Old 11-04-2004, 01:50 PM

Default Dog Question

I need some input on my dog. I took him to the vet about his ear which has been red and irritated on the inside. The vet said he had a yeast infection, or what the old hunters called canker ear, my dad calls it kinker. She gave me some ointment to put in his ear. My question is, what exactly is "kinker ear" and how do dogs get a yeast infection? Also, should I be worried about this, or is it common and cureable? thanks and I look forward to getting some feedback.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:59 PM

Default RE: Dog Question

it is very common, and extreemly curable.

Yeast grows in warm moist places. Dogs with log droopy ears are more supseptable than dogs with cropped ears. Certain breeds are also at a higher risk. Cocker spanials are one of those.

To treat it you just use the ointment and it will take care of the current yeast problem. In the future to help prevent it, clean your dogs ear occationaly with an ear cleaner solution (you can buy some at the pet store) and cotton balls. This will help keep ear mites to a minumum also. Just sqwirt a little into the ear canal, and gently rub it it, it should make a bit of a slurping sound and then use the cotton balls to clean it out.

Good luck!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:22 PM

I use Peroxide and never have any ear issues with my dogs. Alcohol can work too, as will any ear cleanse for dogs on the market. The key is to be consistent. I treat my dogs ears about once a month, but use the "smell" test (smelling their ears for odor) and adjust accordingly.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default KY

KYhunter,

I have a question for you before I answer.............

Has your dog been on any antibiotics within 4 to 6 months prior to the yeast infection showing up?
Old 11-05-2004, 11:53 AM

Doc,

No he hasn't been on anything in his life thus far.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:51 AM

I use a 3 part solution the vet gave me. 1/3 Vinegar 1/3 Peroxide 1/3 Alcohol.