Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

BuddysMom

Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default BuddysMom

Dear BuddysMom,

Do you have any idea what a Kennel Run is? If so, please define or describe it for us please.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:45 PM

Default RE: BuddysMom

I believe that a kennel run is when you see a young brit who has learned to climb fencing like a ladder and you run to "correct" his behavior.

Seriously- No idea. I have what I call a run attached to my kennel. It's just a 25 yard long play pen for dogs to stretch their legs a bit.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:35 PM

those brits are a handful
Old 10-22-2004, 07:53 AM

I know what a kennel run is. I used to work for a vet for an extended period of time, and I also have various other experiences with the sale and construction of pet products and training facilities. My comment to your reply was just as I meant it to be. I don't believe in canine confinement on a regular basis, even if it is a good sized area. It is possible to have a well diciplined dog while giving him freedom to roam. My lab is a perfect example. He is very well trained, well diciplined, and the best hunting dog I've ever seen. Lots of people don't agree with kennel runs... or any thing like that. They want their pups to have all the space and freedom they can.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does this mean you let your dogs "run free"?
Old 10-23-2004, 08:26 AM

left in the house or a kennel run if you are not there with them. This my opinion.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:04 PM

Buddysmom-
My dog [used to be dogs] actually prefer to be outside, in the kennel. They pace and worry if left inside. Leaving a dog in the house is still confinement. What is the difference between being confined in a home or in a kennel? At least outside they get fresh air and can see their surroundings. I believe my Chessie actually feels ownership of her kennel, it's her home, which she keeps very tidy.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roost em 1st

Buddysmom-
My dog [used to be dogs] actually prefer to be outside, in the kennel. They pace and worry if left inside. Leaving a dog in the house is still confinement. What is the difference between being confined in a home or in a kennel? At least outside they get fresh air and can see their surroundings. I believe my Chessie actually feels ownership of her kennel, it's her home, which she keeps very tidy.

100% Precisely Correct
Old 10-27-2004, 06:57 PM

I agree with the majority here. Dogs are happiest being out side. My Lab and GSP have free reign over my back yard. They have a fenced 1/8 acres with trees, and toys, and a pool. The can run and play. In a house the couldn't get that much excersize. However our dogs come in and out when we are home and are in at night. They know that is time to be mellow. They get lots of attention, and get spoiled. My lab even thinks he is lap dog half the time. But my dogs would go nuts stuck in a house all day. Some small foo foo dogs probably do better that way but not large dogs.

Also I think letting your dog 'run free' and not finding some way to contain them is irresponsible. I had a dog growing up that ran free on 20 arces. She had far more injuries and got into more trouble. Plus what if somthing happens to your dog and they can't get home?
Old 10-27-2004, 07:36 PM

Don't tell my two Chessies this! They are both inside dogs, sleep in the bed with my wife and I and wouldn't have it any other way. Exercise? We hunt in excess of 100 days a season and the only time they're not "working" is March 1 to the second week in June. My dogs are lap dogs, couch dogs, follow you to the bathroom dogs and very spoiled. Saying that dogs should be kenneled, housed or kept in a run is to err. It comes down to the individual dog and the owner, and in my case, the dogs are MY owner.

Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm sure everyone here feels the same with their own situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.