Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

Buddy's Tail

Old 10-20-2004, 11:14 AM

Default Buddy's Tail

My Sister-in-law put up a post about this... Buddy hurt his tail while we were working with him yesterday in the bottoms. He is a BIG yellow lab with a great disposition... I hate to see him hurt. I don't really think it is drop tail, but I don't know much about drop tail... does anyone??? I think he broke it, and from the way he is protecting it from the puppies, I think it is obvious. It hurts him pretty good, too. How do you make him more comfortable... there doesnt seem to be anything the vet can do, either. I just want to see him happy and wagging again. Any advice.... feel free to post!
Old 10-20-2004, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Buddy's Tail

These things ussually really hurt us more than they hurt them, but still....

Baby him for a few days. The extra attention will if nothing else lift his mood.

When My dogs are hurt I often give them 1/2 an Ascriptin, but chech with your vet first.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:06 PM

Has the vet confirmed that the tail is broken? If not, it could be some other problem. My dogs hurt their tails often going through blackberry brambles looking for woodcock. Could be droopy tail if you worked the dog for an extended period. My female had this at two years of age and it lasted several days. Is there a reason you think the tail is broken. Giving the dog buffered aspirin will help make the dog more comfortable.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:29 PM

I am pretty sure it isn't droopy tail. We didn't work him very long... he yelped on the 2nd retrieve and we quit. His tail is very point-tender when palpated, and has a ridge of swollen tissue. There are no signs of any abrasions or disruption in the tissue, so I also assume that he didn't cut it or get bit by something. He tries to raise it up, and often jumps in pain, then lowers it back down. He also won't sit on it... just lays down. The vet was the one that suggested it was broken, and that there wasn't much we could do. I was hoping someone else had been in a similar position and had some suggestions.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a web search for the terms that it actually goes by -- which are "Limp Tail" or sometimes it's called "Cold Water Tail".

(Upland chessies : You're right about RJ calling it droopy tail -- but if she's going to do a websearch, she'll get far more information with the terms I gave). Thanks for the reminder (I forgot to take my Ginko ).
Old 10-21-2004, 06:44 AM

Actually, the Retriever Journal did an aticle on this subject some time ago and it was referred to as "droopy tail."
Old 10-21-2004, 07:44 PM

Not a problem Doc E, just trying to help where I can with my knowledge or should I say, limited knowledge (Hehehe). Although droopy tail is what I know it by, you're right, she will get more results using the more common terms.
Old 10-22-2004, 02:02 PM

Not sure about the drop tail, droopy tail or whatever you call it but I saw it in one of my Chessies several years ago. It happenend during a group outing with 5 or 6 dogs in the water. A young one tried to climb up Susie's back and when they got to the bank I noticed that Sue had an odd look on her face and a tail that dangeled in a weird position. I believe it took 2 weeks before she regained the use of her rudder. Now I have to go research all the terminology you smarties threw out. Which RDJ was that article in?