Sporting Dogs What's the best dog for what type of game? Find out what other hunters think.

What's the deal with my dog?

Old 10-07-2004, 12:20 PM

Default What's the deal with my dog?

Sugar, my english pointer had pups this summer.....
She changed from beta to alpha on me....
I'm getting her back to beta toward me, but, I noticed a huge change in her attitude after having pups.....
Have you guys ever seen this?
Old 10-07-2004, 01:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: What's the deal with my dog?

What changes are you seeing?.Agression,depression anxiety,jealousy? Let me know more.Any or all of these can happen to a brood mom after a litter,most go away easily once you get the bond strong again.Take care,Jackson..
Old 10-07-2004, 05:46 PM

She's disobedient, stubborn, thinks she's the boss instead of me.....Kind of like I'm one of her pups & she's gonna tell me what to do.....
I need to get her ready to go on a hunt to South Dakota. She's going, not me (yes, I'm jealous lol)...my friend is taking her. I want her to be in line before I send her.
I have 2 more weeks. She's made a bit of a turn around. Still not up to par though.

Thanks Jax, appreciate your input, as always!!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:47 PM
Spike

Put her on some birds over the next 2 weeks for sure.Shes just feeling a little left out since the pups is my guess,pups tend to get a great deal of our attention once they whelp and momma dog feels shes being overlooked.Some bird work should perk her right up and it'll sure help for her trip if you think shes still up for it..

One thing I would suggest is use your judgement why shes changed and if you think shes not ready for SD then leave her home.If shes feeling seperated,the last thing I want to do is extend that seperation by sending her away hunting with someone else.I think she just misses you,I can tell when I was there she really really likes you.Good luck,take care,Jackson..